R.I.P. Smidgin.

Currently reading:
R.I.P. Smidgin.

The Beard

Prominent member
This has been a bad week.

Just over two years ago, Mrs. Beard, who works for the North West Ambulance Service, received a phone call at work from a Paramedic who had gone to deal with an elderly lady who'd collapsed. While there, she realised there was a small black dog in the house and there weren't any neighbours who could take it. When making the call, the Paramedic asked if my wife if, seeing we'd recently "lost" our last dog, she'd look after this one while the old lady was in Hospital. She said "Yes" and that's how Gi-Gi as she was called came to us; for a couple of weeks.

Before the two weeks were up, the old dear had died and the dog had worked her way into our affections. Now, you can't live in Denton and have a tiny dog called Gi-Gi unless, a) you're rock hard, or b) very comfortable in your own sexuality. I couldn't answer yes to both questions, so Gi-Gi became Smidgin.

When we realised we were going to keep her, a visit to the Vets was in order and the diagnosis wasn't great. She had a partial cataract in one eye, rotten teeth and, worst of all, a heart murmer. It was decided that, in light of the heart problem, an operation was deemed to be more of a risk than her teeth and cataracts.

The cataract got worse and then one started in the other eye. Her general health got worse, but still she'd run around as fast as her little legs would carry her. Getting out into the back garden was like jumping a 6' fence for you or I, yet out she'd go.

Over the last 6 months her vision got worse and her hearing started to go, but still she wanted her food and loved to ride in the car; what she could see, I've no idea, but she'd stand up on my wife's knees and look out of the window. For the last couple of months she'd been almost completely blind, but still, she didn't seem to moan like a human.

Mrs. Beard went to Whitby with her mum and sister yesterday, and tonight, a couple from over the road popped round at about 8pm. Smidgin had been asleep on my lap until then and I put her in her bed and she looked up at me and went back to sleep. After the neighbours had gone at about 10, I picked her up, only to find she'd died.

So good-bye Smidge, the pigeons will miss you in the morning as they always fly off when you go outside; and so will we.

Almost the worst of it is that I haven't told my wife yet. She'll be devastated.

Last edited:
Mate. You're having a horrible run.

I don't envy you having to tell your wife. I was in a similar position a couple of years back and I can appreciate how difficult it is.

Anyway, my condolences to both of you.

At least things can only get better now.

Just after the old lady died, we got a phone call from the RSPCA. It seemed someone had expressed an interest in the dog. Afraid it might be some distant nephew who had crawled out of the woodwork and wanted Smidgin because there was a codicil in the will attached to a bequest.

We went to the house and met the Executor of the will who was a Canadian lady in her late '70s. She had come over specially from Ontario to carry out the duties she'd promised her friend she would. It turned out she only wanted to make sure Gi-Gi as she was called would be ok.

We took Smidge and promised to look after her as best we could. We both kept our promises. Perhaps that's one of the things the world needs more of.

Make a promise and stick to it.

I've just spoken to the friend to tell her about the dog. As we promised. In a few hours I'm going to have to tell Mrs. Beard. That'll be the killer.

Last edited:
Good luck with telling MrsB....At least you can take some comfort in knowing you gave Smidgin / Gi-Gi another two years of love and happiness.... :eek:

It certainly sounds like Smidgin passed away happy and well looked after. I hope that Mrs The Beard is OK, as are you.

Smidge006.jpg

Thanks for all your kind replies, makes things easier when other people understand what you are going through.
Thankyou from Mr and Mrs Beard xx

Smidgin looks better cared for than I am. All the best toys a dog could want and a loverly soft bed like that.

100% gaurentee she was very well looked after and very much loved.

(y)

Last edited:
The above was taken about a month after we got her. She weighed 22 ozs! She later got up to about 5lbs. About as much as a bag of spuds.

I've tried to put some pics up via photobucket, but, no matter which ones I click on; I keep getting the one photo I've already posted. Mrs. Beard's better at this than I am, but even she's struggling with it. Any ideas?

I really wish there were more people like you in the world, I truly mean that.
I did offer myself for cloning. The relevant authority did say they'd ring back. But Hell hasn't frozen over yet so I'm still waiting. Thanks for the sentiment anyway, I am what I am; and so are we all.

Back