Technical Question to cinq owner with rear disc?

Currently reading:
Technical Question to cinq owner with rear disc?

Hey peeps,

This has always been a problem for me. The car do hold perfectly at 2/3 click totally solid.

But when you want to use the handbrake to lock up the rear wheel completely, it takes alot of effort!

Does anyone faces similar problem ?

I'll got a set of seicento handbrake mech to fit, hopefully this will solve the problem, or anyone got any other ideas :)?

Thanks
Ming

Is it down to the pads and discs then??

Rc runs the ut rear brakes and I'm sure he has no problem locking the wheels up, or has he got a hydraulic h/brake?

Could always run a second set of calipers for a hydraulic handbrake. Or get some spot calipers to pass the mot

You can just retain the mechanical handbrake, but move it slightly. You are allowed a hydraulic handbrake for MOT as long as you also have a mechanical one.

If it's a road car you want a mechanical one anyway, else your car may roll away one day lol

my handbrake is stupidly good, 3 clicks locks it up fully at any speed

it was only that good when the new cable was fitted and cleaned up around the caliper though, before that it was very average

Ahh, i'll have a go at cleaning it up, and try the handbrake again!

Thanks
Ming

Sorry, the actual bit that holds the cable can be removed, but cleaning that will serve NO benefit.

Take what I say with a pinch of salt, as I stripped the rear calipers about two years ago and have no pics to jog my memory:

The bit you want to remove is bolted on to a threaded rod, that is then sealed adn enters the caliper to apply the handbrake. Cleaning the part you mentioned will just be a cosmetic job. Otherwise you are looking at a caliper rebuild.

Remember that although the discs on the rear typically work better, that's due to the hydraulic action on them. There IS less surface area from shoe/pad contact and with a handbrake they WILL require more effort due to this.

It's not a problem for most people, but if you are a car park show-off or doing some proper driving, it will be more of a problem.

If you need it for auto test, you need hydraulic....that in turn will mean a bit of plumbing for a front rear split, and some serious planing as how to route it all :)

Get a pedal box in there!!

I may have a diagram somewhere for the plumbing with the original m/c but with a hyd handbrake and a bias valve. Rc helped me out with it ages ago before I bought a bias pedal box

Back