Tuning question for the cinq/sei turbo guys/gals

Currently reading:
Tuning question for the cinq/sei turbo guys/gals

hi, just wondering on the turbo conversions that people do how do you sort out the cooling of the turbo? do you get an oil cooler and plumb it up and run it straight off the battery or ecu?? cheers
Tom

ahhh! so does the oil cooler just work on its own out of the way somwhere? or have people just connectted to the sump through one end and then it goes back to the turbo?? sorry i dont fully understand it. Cheers for the replys

The oil cooler cools all the oil in the engine and is connected to the pressurised oil system, usually by a sandwich plate with thermostat.

The turbo gets its oil supply from one of the spare ports on the oil pump, and the return goes into the sump.

Cheers

SPD

It would be nice if we could have water cooled turbos for the cento but i dont think there are any that would work. from what ive read there not cooled (as such) by the water while the car is running (no point even trying to cool exhaust components) when the engine is turned off the water that sits in the core boils off and keeps the oil from cooking when thick people turn the engine of after ragging the car.

The oil itself does all the cooling while the car is running by running thru the bearings and pouring over the shaft (hence another reason for a oil cooler :))

Some of the Japanese turbos may actually be of a suitable size. I'm dreaming of a turbo off the JDM Scooby Legacy. IIRC, 2.4 litre, twin turbo, ball bearing, lots of titanium rotating components, dual entry, water cooled, very fast spool up. Like hen's teeth, though.

Effectively the water flow is constant -- it'll only affect the bearings (and the oil flowing to them). While the water cooled ones can be run dry, it's probably not a brilliant idea -- you loose the (marginal) advantages of post shutdown cooling (which won't be great as the water pump won't flow any coolant -- in some OEM fittings there are mechanisms to overcome this) for sure, but I'd guess that the bearings are actually toleranced to take the cooling into effect.

Of course, the reason you don't cool the turbo itself is because the heat energy is responsible for some of the thrust: the fashion is to actually insulate them to they stay hot.

Some of the Japanese turbos may actually be of a suitable size. I'm dreaming of a turbo off the JDM Scooby Legacy. IIRC, 2.4 litre, twin turbo, ball bearing, lots of titanium rotating components, dual entry, water cooled, very fast spool up. Like hen's teeth, though.

Effectively the water flow is constant -- it'll only affect the bearings (and the oil flowing to them). While the water cooled ones can be run dry, it's probably not a brilliant idea -- you loose the (marginal) advantages of post shutdown cooling (which won't be great as the water pump won't flow any coolant -- in some OEM fittings there are mechanisms to overcome this) for sure, but I'd guess that the bearings are actually toleranced to take the cooling into effect.

Of course, the reason you don't cool the turbo itself is because the heat energy is responsible for some of the thrust: the fashion is to actually insulate them to they stay hot.

I have looked deeply into ball bearing turbos but as you say there rare to get this small and they cost a bomb.:(

What I ment with the watercooling is it seems most have a large water feed but a smaller exit to restrict the flow through the turbo core (to not add as much unnecessary load on the engines cooling system)
from what i can tell once the engine is turned off the coolant stops in the turbo and takes the heat away in maybe a heat pump fashion (hotter water rises causing it to pull cooler water thru the turbo)

It should work like that -- I think they call it "thermo-siphonage" or something like that.

I'm actually -- I've only ever seen one of the Legacy ones and missed it -- thinking of a GT25R. They're just outside the range of the 1108 -- I think Garret say 1.4 and up -- but might just sort out the kind of boostspikeitis (and the need to run over 1 bar to get any real power) that the high boost tubs suffer from. Probably be a bit laggy, though, even with a proper mani and exhaust.

Back