Technical QUBO MJT 1.3 95CV : engine temperature in winter

Currently reading:
Technical QUBO MJT 1.3 95CV : engine temperature in winter

gavoni

Hi there,

I own a Qubo 1.3 MJT 95CV, year 2012, and its engine takes really long to heat up to 90 degrees. :confused:
With an outside temperature of 0 degrees, internal heating at full blast, the engine does not exceed 55 degrees. If I switch off the internal heating, the temperature can rise up to 90 degrees and the thermostat valve opens, but if I park the car with engine running idle, the temperature gets down to 50 degrees again.

The thermostat is brand new and it behaves like the old one. I'd say it works as it should: the outlet big pipe connected to it stays cold until 85 degrees, when it opens, letting the water to the radiator.:)

Does anyone have noticed such cold engine (and insufficient heating) in winter, with outer temperatures BELOW ZERO??:confused::confused:

Comments are more than welcome!

Mine does excactly the same at this time of year
I find having the ac on and heated rear screen helps it warm up quicker Aswell

Mine also takes ages to warm up and doesnt retain temp when idling which is a bit annoying. Im an electrician and my van is my transport, office and dining room so in the winter it would be nice to have ghe heater on at lunchtime:)

Hi guys,

I'm happy to hearing you confirming this poor heating performance of the Qubo MJT 1.3.
IMHO, this justifies - on the other hand - the low fuel cosumption.

@ Fintious maximus: I fully agree with you. Moreover, during cold and rainy days, the windows take ages to demist. I would say it's also a matter of safety.

As suggested by a FIAT service, who surprisingly didn't understand my complains, I made a precise test and took some temperatures of the coolant in the reservoir, (outer temperature was 0 degrees).
I started the engine in the parking and I waited with patience the engine to heat up. Note: I kept the internal heating OFF, blower in position 0. (This is very uncomfortable and unlikely to happen in winter... ).

After 1 hour 30', the coolant temperature rose up to and stabilized at about 72 degrees (this corresponds to a gauge position near half scale) and still the thermostat outlet pipe was COLD:confused:. That means that the thermostat was still closed, as it should(y) (nominal opening temperature is 88 degrees). Moreover, the thermostat has been newly replaced.

I then decided to turn on the heating at full blast: in about 15', the coolant temperature lowered down and stabilized at around 55 degrees:(. This corresponds to a gauge position between C and the first quarter of the scale. The thermostat outlet big pipe was of course still cold.

When driving uphill, the heating is OK and the gauge stabilizes at half scale (90 degrees), but when driving downhill, or slowly in the city, when outside is cold and below zero, it becomes cold also inside the car(n)(n)(n). Heating may be a little bit improved by switching on the air recycle feature, but only temporary, to avoid mist on windows.

This engine is clearly unable to mantain its working temperature in winter when idle. It must have been designed for a better thermal efficiency, which only satisfies customers living in warmer countries :D.

Back to the cooling system, the reservoir is always warm and I can't see why the coolant have to bypass the thermostat and go to this this tank all the time. :idea:So I decided to compress the small pipe with a clamp. Result: now the cooling tank is cold and the engine takes less time to warm up:), however the statements above remain still true.:(

Thanks K333fer , you're right: it helps keeping many electrical services switched ON, to allow engine to deliver more power and consequently more heating (and of course a bit more fuel consumption).

Comments?
Thanks everybody for your counter-checks (y)

For the record our 95 Qubo does not have a misting issue or demist problem any more than any other car I have had. Certainly sufficient warmth is generated upon leaving the outskirts of a modest town, getting proper warm/ hot within 10 minutes on the A road. Very happy with the car, 70,000 miles so far.

Hi andydiver,

are you also happy with the heating when outside temp. is -10°C ?:confused: And does the engine reach 90°C in 10 minutes? I doubt.

You certainly know that these kind of diesel engines have to reach 90°C to work properly.

Hi. Have had the opportunity to use it well below zero a few times, we are in the east of the UK. To be honest the colder it is the less condensation there is though freezing external water is then to be managed. I use hot water to heat the screen and make it dry inside and use wipers and care to get it dry outside and plenty of antifreeze going through the jets if lucky. Never given the general heating or engine temp another thought, never felt the need, just offering another view to the forum. You may or may not have a fault, am not qualified to say, and others have observed slow to heat, but it might well depend on your prior frame of reference. Cheers.

Back