put your name on your post!

Currently reading:
put your name on your post!

M

Mike

thats what pisses me off about this site,no ****** puts their name! !

if im wrong in a post ill admit it which i did in a recent one! But when annoymous's are wrong they just dont reply back..obviously cos they dont wana look a ****! but yet they say the feel insulted by someone who has signed their name? i mean WTF c'mon!

really is a big issuse this site has!

Re: !

i agree, you shouldn't be able to post anonymously.

Tell me about it.... try being a Mod and working out who's saying what...

plus who's a member and not...

and those that are that forget to sign in then complain when they get a post removed or edited as it looks like some random person has just come on the forum to start a fight then sit back and laugh as the fall out.

You can't win somedays... I can appreciate sometime you forget to put ur name at the top... but it takes a just a second to put ur name at the bottom of a post

Tommy K

style5,TommyK.png

plate-2.jpg

that hit the nail on the head,spot on there!

if i dont log in then i ALWAYS either put my name in the name bit OR sign in at the bottom.its a habbit now more than anything.
Also im not bothered if i give wrong advice,i mean im not a mechanic of 25 years like alot of you lot are ;) so if im wrong then fair enough,you learn something new everyday.

Mike I'm always wrong... but i like to give suggestions that are "outside the box" so to speak..... that far out they aren't even in the same room as the box... but hey - at least i've suggested :)

style5,TommyK.png

plate-2.jpg

name on posts

instead of moaning about it, stop people from being able to do it!
Every other forum requires you to be logged in to post, why not this one?
plenty of people have been moaning about this site recently.I stopped using it ages ago even though i still have my HLX

the forum layout needs an overhaul big style. perhaps then more people will use it.

lots more people would post if they are not made to pay a fiver to do so and overly anal mods and antique site layouts dont help matters.

just my opinion.....

i think this has been covered a few times and its a lot of work to convert it so that you have to be logged in.

Isn't there a simpler way of trying to fix this problem? for example can you not make it so that when you are writing a post something MUST be entered into the name field? otherwise you can't continue with your post? (like when your getting an insurance quote online and there are fields you have to enter something into otherwise you cant continue?

it might not stop people randomly posting, but its a start...

it has ben covered a few times but was pissed off otherday and just told ppl why lol

jord i know what you mean i.e * required.If mods do that to name or title etc no one will put their real name,just put a random name like jimll fix it etc Even still ppl have more than 1 comp in the house and also have use of phones so without logging in its not going to solve anything.

Tbh im not bothered about the layout,just think you should be logged in to post i mean its free to do so and free to browse you only pay if you want to advertise directly which is fair enough as some online sites (that we use) want £5 a year fee to sell.

"lots more people would post if they are not made to pay a fiver to do so and overly anal mods and antique site layouts dont help matters"

Who has ever made anyone pay £5??

The forum is free - it's free advise, free to chat, free to post, free to join in..... NOT free to advertise directly but free to put a link to say ebay.

Anal Mods - yes, we have rules, very few and we let a lot slide, but yes I am anal about certain things. If you feel aggrieved by a Mods actions, e-mail the Big Cheese :)

Antique site layout - yup it's bloody old, bloody simple and has bloody years of posts that we would use if we made a new forum....

oh and if you'd like to now all pay the £5 to post on BOO I'm sure we could afford to update and pay for the software / server space to host our new forum :)

Look the site subject has been tossed around for ages - as far as I know, if we move, we loose everything. At the moment, you ask a question, it gets answered. You want to know something there is a section at the top with most FAQ's - failing that, do a search.

The simple fact with putting a name to a post means you can directly respond to that person... I couldn't care less what you call yourself!

style5,TommyK.png

plate-2.jpg

Fair enough!

i did mean £5 to post ads though!
So presumably the people who pay the money are contributing towards an eventual site upgrade??

lots of people just want to out stuff and paying a fiver will deter people from advertsing stuff. who cares if they dont post again, someone who needs a part could lose out.

anyway, i fancy an HGT and will p/ex my mint 2000 1.8 hlx with 45k genuine 3 keys new cambelt pulleys and waterpump!

Yeah - unfortunately the cost of running the site as it stands isn't free - so I don't foresee an upgrade just yet ;)

Well my HGT is factory, about the same millage as yours - only thing that needs doing are the door handles and roof rubbers.

There wouldn't be enough money in a part ex to justify not keeping the HGT. sorry

style5,TommyK.png

plate-2.jpg

dude seriously.... build yourself a bridge and get over it

Ah, this ol' chestnut! ;)

Ok, Fact No.1. You can't convert a Network54 based forum (which the BOO forum is) to a more up to date and scalable platform like phpBB. Network54 do not give the forum database to you to convert. Sad fact, but true.

So, we are in a quandry. We either stick with Network54 and their archaic platform but keep the years of info stored therein or go to a new system, start afresh and possibly link back to the current forum as an archive which wouldn't be particularly user friendly.

Fact No.2. Yes, we offer a £5 annual membership which affords those that pay it a few small, extra benefits, but it helps pay to keep the existing site running. Without those memberships, this site would disappear. These fees alone do not keep the site going. We do allow banner ads which you will see at the top of every page, and most of these are for Angel Tuning, a company who is one of our, if not our only, benefactor, owned and run by long time member and now Chairman, Nige. These ads top up the kitty to keep us going. Of course, we could have more ads, but how many companies want to advertise on a small site that represents a 16 year old range of cars. Hardly a lucrative proposition.

As for Mods being anal, well, yeah, my missus indulges me in a bit of back door action, but if you are referring to the way we manage the content, I challenge you to find another forum that is as well behaved and free from abuse as this one. You'd be hard pushed, given all the shitfest's one sees on other forums. As Tommy says, if you have a problem with the actions of one or all of the Mods, you are free to contact the owner of BOO and/or other Mods where you matter will be dealt with appropriately.

I would personally love to move to a new platform, but we inherited the Network54 thing and that's what we have to make do with until we come up with another option or make that leap of faith to something more modern and risk making our archives difficult to navigate.

Hope that clears things up :)

Rob
BOO Member since 2002

FIAT History: Tipo DS, Punto TDSX, Punto Sporting, Cinquecento Sporting, Seicento Sporting, Bravo HGT, Marea Weekend ELX
Now residing in the land of Ford.

yeah i have to agree, but if were stuck, were stuck, and we are gonna have to make do until such time that we can evolve, nice to see you chaps on here, rob and tk.

As for Mods being anal, well, yeah, my missus indulges me in a bit of back door action

LOL each to their own 'anall that lol

There are some things you just don't need to know.....!!!

style5,TommyK.png

plate-2.jpg