Punto vs Fiat seicento...seicento won!

Currently reading:
Punto vs Fiat seicento...seicento won!

cgarr04

Hey guys,

I drive a 2003 punto mk2 8v...

Earlier today, this guy in a blue secicento pulled up beside me at the lights just before a motorway sliproad, edging forward waiting for the lights to change, obviously looking for a race.

I didn't gun it because it was still a public road and a generally don't race others, however considering it was another fiat and fairly even matched i decided to give it the boot and catch up with him on the motorway sliproad. Once we got on the motorway, it was completely empty with not a car in sight either direction, so I thought why not...it's another fiat owner and i've only done this once before.

I pulled up to the right of the guy in the outside lane, at around 50mph, in 4th gear....dropped into 3rd and nailed it! I started to make distance in 3rd and the guy clearly done the same due to the sound of his engine. I started to gain some headway, and pushed 3rd gear near to it's limit, but before but I could reach 5k rpm and shift into forth, this guy was already gaining and on the verge of overtaking me! Needless to say he went into the lead and continued to pull away from me whilst in 4th. By the time i reached 5th my car was doing around 80mph and pretty much at it's limit, but this guy continued to pull away in his scicento! Anyway, i pulled in behind him for some slipstream which made little to no difference as he was still making distance from me, so being slightly disappoined that I was beaten i indicated off at the sliproad and to my surprise he done the same.

Not wanting to stop beside him at the lights I rolled to the light and perfectly timed it, doing 10mph, i glided around the corner and was in the lead again! Then a cheeky quick flash of each incidator put a smile on his face as I could see in my rear view mirror and as we took a different direction there was a quick exchange of horn toots.

It was quite an enjoyable experience and we both came out smiling in the end, despite my punto being beaten by the sei. The moral of the story is that the person with the lead foot doesn't always win, therefore the next time you decide to race away from the light just think of the money you are blowing out your exhaust, plus all the other factors.

However, this experience has got me thinking that there is someone wrong with my punto and causing reduced performance, or that guy had dropped a Punto engine into his Sei - What are your thoughts?

Hope you guys enjoyed the read (y) :slayer:

sei if its a 1.1 is a much lighter car with only a few bhp less, of course its going to win

nobody enjoys reading that there are 2 knobends road racing in fiats (n) :(

Well, there was two lads in the car and it was just myself in mine, so I figured the weight would counteract that.

Anyway, we were not "road racing", a better phrase would be benchmarking the two cars.
As I said it was on a a piece of motorway which is totally straight, between two junctions, with no cars in sight either direction. Also when i reached 80mph, I backed off. I see many cars doing much faster than what I what I was doing at 8am in the morning, with lots of traffic. Had I been pulled by police, I doubt I would have even received a speeding ticket, the guy in the sei may have been a different story though as I imagine he was peaking at almost 100mph.

Appreciate the harshness of your comment though, like I said, it's not like I do it on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Lol sorry but from a younger persons point of view and the fact I drive a little standard looking sei and have had a few people trying to race me I find this highly amusing

Now I have a louder raspy exhaust I find the likes of corsa and punto drivers trying to race me off the lights and then clearly not being pleased as I leave them in my wake

It is just a little bit of fun and aslong as your not silly with it and the conditions are clear why not have a friendly race

Just remember there are worse things you can do in worse conditions

Glad to hear there are other little seicentos winding up the rivals though ;)

Lee

MS50 motor racing on the highway 3-11 penalty point on your licence plus a big fine, you only have to do it once to get caught.

I know that, to be honest I wouldn't do it in any other circumstances. I would never be so stupid as to put someone's life in danger for my entertainment.

Define racing? I was on the outside lane, on a empty motorway, doing a maximum of 80mph. Yes, I was pushing my car hard, but in reality it has 60bhp, it's not going anywhere fast. It makes no difference from a guy in a 5 series BMW putting a little extra weight on his noisy pedal.

Given the weather, traffic conditions, I'd say very few traffic officers would have much of an issue with this. Not to mention that certain MP's have suggested increasing the speed limit on the motorway to 80mph.

However, I know it's wrong and i'm not defending myself from that fact.

Lol sorry but from a younger persons point of view and the fact I drive a little standard looking sei and have had a few people trying to race me I find this highly amusing

Now I have a louder raspy exhaust I find the likes of corsa and punto drivers trying to race me off the lights and then clearly not being pleased as I leave them in my wake

It is just a little bit of fun and aslong as your not silly with it and the conditions are clear why not have a friendly race

Lee

Hold on, before we go any further, let me make clear the point that this guy wanted to race me, and probably knew from the start that he would come out on top (y)

This sei was totally standard as is my car too! I only responded to see how my punto would do in comparison and I think it's the last time i'll be doing that against any car in the punto :) ;)

Anyway, even with two seemingly big lads in his car, and also that i'm a fairly light fella I was surprised how nippy the little sei was!

Gotta love the little italian pocket rockets :devil:

Last edited:

Lee

Just LOL. I could attach some wheels to my Dyson washer machine and outdrag a Seicento :rolleyes:

Grow up and drive a car with real power before you spout out nonsence that you will look back on and cringe at :p.

pushed 3rd gear near to it's limit, but before but I could reach 5k rpm

Sorry 5k? Mate My Punto 60 can get to 6.5 rpm before it needs to shift up?

I'm suprised the Sei pulled away. Yes its small and nippy but I always figured the Punto was the 'Next one up' from the Sei.

Motorway driving can be fun under safe circumstances just be careful matey last thing we want is to hear about another statistic on the road especially one from the forums ;).

But fair play for having a bit of fun geezer

Just LOL. I could attach some wheels to my Dyson washer machine and outdrag a Seicento :rolleyes:

Grow up and drive a car with real power before you spout out nonsence that you will look back on and cringe at :p.

Agreed

I'm used to Saab turbos, the saabs used to put the fear of god in Porsche 911 owners on the track (mainly because front engine fwd Saabs and rear engine rwd Porsches both handle like a dog on a polished wood floor) I really don't see any point in comparing a sei to a punto as both would suffer at the wheels of many other innocuous cars.
A Datsun sunny would probably be faster!

It's a bit like 16 year olds comparing scooters I suppose, every thing else on the road is faster but can still find a reason to boast

Sorry 5k? Mate My Punto 60 can get to 6.5 rpm before it needs to shift up?

I'm suprised the Sei pulled away. Yes its small and nippy but I always figured the Punto was the 'Next one up' from the Sei.

Motorway driving can be fun under safe circumstances just be careful matey last thing we want is to hear about another statistic on the road especially one from the forums ;).

But fair play for having a bit of fun geezer

Yes, 5k rpm. I know it will hit the rev limiter at 6.5k i never push the car to its absolute limit.

My thoughts exactly - I thought the punto would out perform a sei with two people in it but i guess I was very wrong!

Thanks for the words, i'm sure it'll be the last time i do it for a while. It's back maximum mpg driving style for me. I simply can't afford to do it with the crazy petrol prices. I normally drive 10 miles and fill the tank at a "GO" filling station, 129.9/litre, however drove out today and it was 139.9 litre, which didn't make the drive worthwhile (n)

Wow lol

Ive had a fair share of FAST cars and including a 306 gti a few bmws and not one of them made me smile or was as reliable as the sei

Im sure given a chance and a day round a track I'd challenge most puntos round here If not give them a bloody good run for there money

Lee

Last edited:
my sei was pretty fast.... looked completely standard but was running nearly twice factory power... would outrun alot of things...

still wouldnt say its the fastest thing around though against a punto sei would always win.....

gear ratios play a big part too.

Back