Punto 2012+ Punto - sort of

Currently reading:
Punto 2012+ Punto - sort of

Frankgoldstar

I have just joined the forum after buying a Punto - sort of. The car is badged as a Chrysler Delta, which has been described to me as a Punto in a party frock:)

Whatever the badge says and the marketing people expect buyers to swallow, it is purely a product of Fiat, so I hope and expect to learn an awful lots from the other owners here.

Best, Frank

Dear Charlie,

thanks for the kind reply. I realised after posting that I had typed Punto when I meant Bravo, but hey, I am still trying to find my way in the many cars made by Fiat.

I have seen the Chrysler/Lancia Delta section in the Chrysler forum and found help there, despite me losing access for a while due to being an old computer plonker.

I have seen that there is so much more information here on this group that it is essential really to look at the distilled wisdom of so many owners.

Best, Frank

Yes the Mk.3 Delta is based on an extended Bravo platform. I've actually moved on from mine now but there is a very useful section on FB which I helped start - https://www.facebook.com/groups/494302671294400 - Enjoy the car.
Dear Nello, thanks for replying to my initial post. I have read quite a few of your useful posts, as well as many others on the really useful Delta forum on the Chrysler group. Absolutely priceless stuff for somebody who has never had any car from the Fiat group, or even heard of the type of roboticised gearbox fitted to the auto before gaining the courage to actually buy one. Hopefully, I will be in this for the long term, as I normally am with vehicles, but without seeing the amount of knowledge and help on Bravos/Deltas and all the other cars which share some of the underpinnings of the cars, I would have probably have chickened out. Best, Frank B

Nice one Frank. As mentioned worth joining that FB group. What engine do you have? Be careful with the MA units - The Mk.3 Delta was an early user of that engine - My actuator went and took the Turbo with it for an expensive bill. Other thing to note is check your HVAC unit. The BiZone unit flap motors are prone to failure and its a dash out job to resolve. You will know you have an issue when one side is hot and one side cold. I still think the Delta 3 looks great in the right spec. All the best, Nello

Nice one Frank. As mentioned worth joining that FB group. What engine do you have? Be careful with the MA units - The Mk.3 Delta was an early user of that engine - My actuator went and took the Turbo with it for an expensive bill. Other thing to note is check your HVAC unit. The BiZone unit flap motors are prone to failure and its a dash out job to resolve. You will know you have an issue when one side is hot and one side cold. I still think the Delta 3 looks great in the right spec. All the best, Nello
I did indeed join both the facebook Delta 3 group and the Chrysler Delta section, and apart from screwing up signing in with the Chrysler group, which meant I was unable to reply to some very helpful hints from Rosso et al., for a while, all has been good, with great information and support. I have actually trawled a great deal of the info and posts (tons from your good
self) on each site before I got the car. I did pass on a good M-Air near me (it is in Thornton-Cleveleys) as it was a manual and we wanted an auto. That car was a steal. One owner family from new, present owner (grandson of buyer) emigrating - the straightest motor with genuine low (60k) miles I ever saw in my life, so I posted it on the Delta 3 forum in case somebody was interested but it has not gone yet. As it is, I was also wary of the M-Air myself, but I read that most failures were early on and dealt with on warranty. Your car experience shows even that idea is not necessarily correct though, but it was the fact it was a manual that stopped me. I got the 1.6 T-Jet auto a couple of weeks ago, but my timing is a bit screwed as I also got a total hip replacement fitted a few days later. That has put a bit of a crimp in my car activities for the moment😒 You are spot on with the looks of the car too. The UK motor publications and the Parkers people, who virtually all sniffily reported that the styling was of the "Marmite" variety, did us all a favour by making the car more affordable than it should be, were it not for the fools who reviewed it when the car came out. To balance that, I must admit I have owned three Ford Scorpios, so maybe my judgement on aesthetics is vulnerable to criticism too🤣 It registered 53 mpg around town before I had my leg repaired, but I also drive like a blind granny sat on a crate of fresh eggs so that, and short shifting in front of the auto box change, helps. The car is an SE Nav with the panoramic roof and despite me being effectively grounded at the moment, I am a happy bunny. Shortly I need to do the usual - cam belt, water pump, aux belt change as I am not aware they have been done. The rest can follow in due course but best to make sure valves and pistons stay separated. And please forgive me for being nosy but I must ask - what did you get to replace the Delta? Best, Frank B

Nice one Frank. I'd actually love a Thesis so aesthetics are again down to personal taste! I moved my Delta on purely because I didn't need a family car anymore. My wife has a 500X which is the daily runabout and my lads are now grown up - eldest drives himself now (started on a Mito!) so after several years of enjoyable Italian style I moved on to scratch another itch. I'd always wanted an Alfa Brera Prodrive S - only the S mind as they look and drive so much better than the 'standard' Brera. I love it- like the Delta so stylish and you don't see many about. I'm a real Italian Petrolhead!
BreraS2.jpg

Back