Technical Punto S 1995 tachometer lead(wire location)

Currently reading:
Technical Punto S 1995 tachometer lead(wire location)

CaptainZ

Hello
i would like to mount analog tachometer in my MK1 1995, 1.1 engine (gasoline).
The instrument panel has a clock instead of tachometer.
Have an aftermarket tachometer which should be connected to the tacho impulse lead - for the cars without old fashioned ignition coil. Otherwise this would connect to a negative terminal of classical ignition coil. Punto has two high voltage coils, one for each of two cylinders so I guess this will not work.
I am assuming that wire/plug is probably somewhere under the instrument panel already or maybe I am wrong.... I do not have paper manuals and from the schematics in my PDF copy of Haynes manual I cannot see much. Any help will be much appreciated, thank you !!

How come you chose the aftermarket tachometer instead of getting a factory instrument panel with tachometer? That would be an easier option IMO. Additional upside to that is an included coolant temperature gauge that is easy to make work - just replace the temperature sensor near the oil dipstick with one intended for a car with a gauge (NTC resistor instead of a simple thermo-switch).
As for the tachometer wire, some cars have the wire present in the instrument panel connector and everything is plug&play, some don't.
When you remove your instrument cluster, looking in the empty hole there will be 4 bundles of wires with connectors that plugged in the cluster⁸. If your car is pre-wired, it will have a blue wire in the lower right connector. If it doesn't, you have to bring it in from the engine compartment. I took it from near the MAP sensor, under the plastic cover, I can take a photo for you if you want.
I don't know of that wire can drive an aftermarket tach or is it some weird signal that only the factory tacho "understands".
Some aftermarket tachometers have a switch to select spark and rpm ratio to be compatible with different ignition types - regular vs wasted spark or if one coil drives all cylinders as in a distributor system so wrapping the pickup line around the spark plug wire can work correctly.
If you decide to get a factory instrument panel with tach, ideally get one from a pre '97 car as there is a small change in wiring but easily sortable if you get a newer one.

How come you chose the aftermarket tachometer instead of getting a factory instrument panel with tachometer? That would be an easier option IMO. Additional upside to that is an included coolant temperature gauge that is easy to make work - just replace the temperature sensor near the oil dipstick with one intended for a car with a gauge (NTC resistor instead of a simple thermo-switch).
As for the tachometer wire, some cars have the wire present in the instrument panel connector and everything is plug&play, some don't.
When you remove your instrument cluster, looking in the empty hole there will be 4 bundles of wires with connectors that plugged in the cluster⁸. If your car is pre-wired, it will have a blue wire in the lower right connector. If it doesn't, you have to bring it in from the engine compartment. I took it from near the MAP sensor, under the plastic cover, I can take a photo for you if you want.
I don't know of that wire can drive an aftermarket tach or is it some weird signal that only the factory tacho "understands".
Some aftermarket tachometers have a switch to select spark and rpm ratio to be compatible with different ignition types - regular vs wasted spark or if one coil drives all cylinders as in a distributor system so wrapping the pickup line around the spark plug wire can work correctly.
If you decide to get a factory instrument panel with tach, ideally get one from a pre '97 car as there is a small change in wiring but easily sortable if you get a newer one.
Frank thank you so much for taking the time to reply & comment! As for why the aftermarket - I have one already for long time, planned to put it in my old Skoda car but never did it. Another reason is that so far I could not find an instrument cluster with tacho for somehow reasonable price. Still looking...as you mentioned it would be good also to have a temp gauge as well.

I understand.
I can sell you one cheap if you figure out the delivery from Croatia. I think that's the biggest problem

I understand.
I can sell you one cheap if you figure out the delivery from Croatia. I think that's the biggest problem
Frank I am in Cro right now, my Punto is here as well. Let me know what you have & where you are. Can we do private msgs on this forum ?

Back