General Punto Redline?!

Currently reading:
General Punto Redline?!

so when it gets to 5500 power will start to drop?

so in theory best place to change would be beetween 5000 and 5500?

if you didnt mind ragging your engine

It wouldn't be best no. All you're doing is wearing the frigging engine out. The limiter is there to avoid engine damage, not to be abused. It's there as a failsafe, just because you change gear at 5k instead of hitting the limiter doesn't mean you're going easy on it. Holding any engine to the limit, like has already been said, is pointless anyway because the power tends to be made below the limiter. If you're going to drive every gear to 5500 then you're going to cause damage at some point and you've already said you aren't overly technical mechanically, so lets hope you've got money.

All this ragging your cars is fruitless on the road where you shouldn't even be driving fast. All to squeeze every last one of the 60bhp out of your puntos...? Rev it to what you want, it's never going to be very fast, might blow up spectacularly though.

Last edited:
il rag 1st gear tomoro and find out lol(y) im thinking that it will redline at about 6000 rpm anyway its only a 1.2

Will i break the engine if i redline every gear is that not what the redline is there for?

The redline is there on the dash as a warning because it is close to the limit of what the engine can take. The limiter is there to stop you going over that because you will break it if you do enough times. It is not there to be abused and you will damage it if you rag it every day every gear to the limit or close. Taking it close to the limiter will cause plenty of wear if repeated frequently, just becuase you're under the limiter doesn't mean you're going easy on it. It's not rocket science, the redline is purely there to stop you overrevving if you ever miss a gear etc and this should only happen very occasionally by accident.

Driving to the limiter is slow (it may feel fast but you'd be going quicker if you hooked the next gear up earlier when the power is there), causes more wear to the engine and (in the long run) more damage to your wallet.

Last edited:
It wouldn't be best no. All you're doing is wearing the frigging engine out. The limiter is there to avoid engine damage, not to be abused. It's there as a failsafe, just because you change gear at 5k instead of hitting the limiter doesn't mean you're going easy on it. Holding any engine to the limit, like has already been said, is pointless anyway because the power tends to be made below the limiter. If you're going to drive every gear to 5500 then you're going to cause damage at some point and you've already said you aren't overly technical mechanically, so lets hope you've got money.

All this ragging your cars is fruitless on the road where you shouldn't even be driving fast. All to squeeze every last one of the 60bhp out of your puntos...? Rev it to what you want, it's never going to be very fast, might blow up spectacularly though.

at what point did i say i was going to do any of this? im just interested in the theory of it thats all

i have no desire to destroy my engine and/or drive like a ****

i dont really fancy becomeing another statistic my insurance is high enough as it is thanks

at what point did i say i was going to do any of this? im just interested in the theory of it thats all

i have no desire to destroy my engine and/or drive like a ****

i dont really fancy becomeing another statistic my insurance is high enough as it is thanks

At the end of the day it all depends on what your situation is, if you're driving on track and want to get the best from an engine that can take the stresses and strains then you want to be changing gear slightly over where the power comes in. That way you get all the power and are closer to those revs again when you get the next gear, it's all about getting each one at the sweet spot. Revving it out just won't do the engine any good and you'll not be going fast as poss.

That help a bit?

I don't mean to come across so negative but someone will read this and go out and try it on public roads. We all know that, so just expressing my view on it.

At the end of the day it all depends on what your situation is, if you're driving on track and want to get the best from an engine that can take the stresses and strains then you want to be changing gear slightly over where the power comes in. That way you get all the power and are closer to those revs again when you get the next gear, it's all about getting each one at the sweet spot. Revving it out just won't do the engine any good and you'll not be going fast as poss.

That help a bit?

I don't mean to come across so negative but someone will read this and go out and try it on public roads. We all know that, so just expressing my view on it.

yeah cheers

sorry for going all deffensive i just hate being treated like any other egotistical boy racer when im not

well in this case thinking i am :p

Tbh it can do an engine plenty of harm never having a rev to clear it's lungs, there needs to be a bit of a balance really. Pottering arounds no good but neithers teararsing around like a maniac. People who drive with no urgency or positiveness that just bumble around are just as annoying as people driving fast! Sometimes more dangerous too!

With all honestly if youve tried to go to 6000 rpm then you will realise that at about 5500 rpm your engine stops giving you power and feels as if it stops pulling and your not being thrown into back of your seat at all and as if your engine has just all a sudden got slower than it was at 4000 rpm.

i only posted this thread becaause i was curious were it was because my rev counter doesnt have a redline.

Last edited:
Dont think revving engine to 5k is ragging it. So long as engine is warm its fine to rev to 6k in short burst. FIRE engine like somewone said likes being revved. Revving to the limmiter is ragging it. Its not dangerous, thers no law against acceletation on a straight road. It may however be anti social, you shouldnt red line your car in a built up area at night it really p**ses people off, the noise that is.
Was a time when cars only had 4 gears so youd be doing 4000rpm at 70 mph. It was then possible to damage an engine driving at 85 mph for extended periods of time. People would potter around town never driving more than 5 miles at a time then rag the car 300 miles down the motorway once a year for holidays. Remember early 70s as a young kid. Youd get a hot day in summer people driving down to devon, see loads of cars on the hard shoulder. You could break down next to someone else and have a chat about whether it was the big end or a small end .. .. .. .. . but modern cars have high fifth or sixth gears, short bursts of revs on a warm engine are fine.

Id say I probably rev to 5000 or so once or twice a week. I dont exactly count.

One caviat. If you have a turbo, not so much of a problem these days but revving a turbo hard just before you turn the engine off is as bad or worse than revving a cold engine. Something about letting it cool down slowly.

my mk1 1.2 has a rev limiter kick in at 6500 RPM, would be better if it was higher as i'm converting the car bit by bit into a rally car

Dont think revving engine to 5k is ragging it. So long as engine is warm its fine to rev to 6k in short burst. FIRE engine like somewone said likes being revved. Revving to the limmiter is ragging it. Its not dangerous, thers no law against acceletation on a straight road. It may however be anti social, you shouldnt red line your car in a built up area at night it really p**ses people off, the noise that is.
Was a time when cars only had 4 gears so youd be doing 4000rpm at 70 mph. It was then possible to damage an engine driving at 85 mph for extended periods of time. People would potter around town never driving more than 5 miles at a time then rag the car 300 miles down the motorway once a year for holidays. Remember early 70s as a young kid. Youd get a hot day in summer people driving down to devon, see loads of cars on the hard shoulder. You could break down next to someone else and have a chat about whether it was the big end or a small end .. .. .. .. . but modern cars have high fifth or sixth gears, short bursts of revs on a warm engine are fine.

Id say I probably rev to 5000 or so once or twice a week. I dont exactly count.

One caviat. If you have a turbo, not so much of a problem these days but revving a turbo hard just before you turn the engine off is as bad or worse than revving a cold engine. Something about letting it cool down slowly.

Of course 5k won't do any harm now and then, we all like to put our foot down, just not repeatedly through every gear.

You are correct about turbo cars, the oil is only pumping round the turbo when the motor is running, if you blip the throttle then knock the engine off the turbo is still spinning at a fair old rate with no oil being pumped through and will eventually cause failure.

All this talk of revving the balls off to go fast makes me miss my last car. Why why why did I sell my torquey 130bhp TDCi Mondeo and buy a little Punto 1.2 :)

Mondeo red-lined at 4500, but was fasted when you changed at just 3500 (y) You could drive it like you stole it and no-one would notice.

My Iveco Daily campervan is faster than my Punto and thats only 120bhp pushing 3 tonnes :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I quite like revvy little cars, theres something fun about cars that feel a lot faster than they are. There's very little on the market like that these days. FIRE engine designed as high revving, origianlly revved to 6K. Latest incarnations 5k? C1/Aygo/107/Sirrion 1.0 3 pot is nice little revvy unit Problem is these little cars weigh more than a punto.
Daihatsu Charade was eventually straightened with only 58bhp 0-60 in 11 seconds but cant buy in UK anymore.
Recall Fiat 127 1050 GT was faster than a Punto 8v.
New FIAT SGE engine looks very promissing though, but when will it be available? Supposed to be last year?

Out of interest what are these bespoke systems?
Is it a generic item , who make it?
Do they replace the ECU or do you keep ECU but not manage the engine with it?

Out of interest what are these bespoke systems?
Is it a generic item , who make it?
Do they replace the ECU or do you keep ECU but not manage the engine with it?

Meaning a stand alone ecu, such as DTA, Emerald, Omex etc... there solely to run the engine to it's optimum, the advantage with these is that they are intinitely mappable and can be tailored to exactly what the car needs with it's specific state of tune, plus some have launch control software and flat shift functions etc. Basically a must have for serious performance/racing applications. A remap on the other hand is just a modification to a standard unit, no where near as advanced.

Back