Technical Punto MK2 running rough when cold.

Currently reading:
Technical Punto MK2 running rough when cold.

mitchell87

Hey people. I'm having a little problem when I start my car in the morning. Its a Mk2 Sporting 1.2 16v It catches well and idles fine. It even pulls away fine. But when the revs hit 1800 it just looses all power, even on full throttle. It chugs and splutters. Judders like its missing a cylinder or there is no compression, or the wrong air fuel mix. Even had a couple of cheeky little backfires (probably destroying the cat but hey)! When it finally claws itself over 2400 revs and it just clears, and takes off like a rocket. It will do this untill it reaches running temp after that its fine.

Seems unusual that its such a specific rev range.

Things I've done. Got some injector cleaner and made sure the oil pressure was ok. I had new sparks at the service only about 5000 miles ago. I haven't had them out (cant find spark socket at the moment) but they are at least all sealed well and the HT's make good clean contact with them.

Other possible thoughts. Going to try some carb cleaner in the throttle body and get the potentiometer out for a clean. Thought it might be condensation in the engine too as it goes once warm, but there is no sign of water in the oil or gaskets going etc.

It sounds like sparks or leads should be my next port of call really. Just wondering if anyone knows of something else specific to puntos it could be?

Ive heard the crank sensor, or lambda sensor as possibilities?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. :D

Back