Punto ICE

Currently reading:
Punto ICE

jdunderhill

Hi I would really appreciate some help if possible

I have an 880 Watt XS amp already installed and would like to install another, How do I wire a second amp?

I am familiar with running a fused power lead from battery, a ground wire to car chassis, RCA leads and remote wire but my main concern is about the remote wire, can I attach the second remote wire to the other remote wire so it turns both amps on?

Also does running two power leads from the battery pose a problem for voltage or amp draw?

I am considering a powercap as the second amp is a 1000 Watt XS Amp and will be running two subs, is this a good idea? i've no experience of installing one, I've heard a 1 Farad Capacitor is sufficent, I've seen some models on Ebay that I could buy that seem a low price

I have only ever installed a 1 amp car audio setup and just wondered the steps it takes to add additional amps and possibly a power cap

I plan to have the following ICE....

25cm Pioneer Full Range Speakers (Parcel Shelf)
2 x 500 Watt Subs (In Boot)
6" Components (Door Pods)

Thanks in advance

Jamie

A distribution block from the one power lead would solve the cable routing problem.

AFAIK, the Remote switch signal is low current, so yu could probably piggyback off the other amp with no problem.

As for current draw, yu might want to install a 2nd battery or an uprated alternator as 2000W might be 60A+. I know a Cinq Sporting alternator only does 65A, and 5A isnt really sufficient to power an engine imo, so a 2nd batt, might not be a bad idea...

Tom (AofB)

1 x 93' Cinq SX
1 x 95' Cinq Sporting
= Loads a' fun!

If run at 2000watts it is about 160 amps! Ouch!

I don't know much about the use of a capacitor in this way but they are on offer for about £50 at maplin at the moment. The trouble is, you can have a big a capacitor you want but it can't rid of the fact you are lacking power.

Thanks for the replies, how easy is it to install a second battery?

It sounds a bit tricky as for charging etc and the location of where it would be stored

Im interested in the distribution block though, i'll take a look and see what they are

Thanks

Jamie

A dist. block just makes one power lead into many. Hence Distribution.

With 2nd batteries, Yu'll want a Dry one, not a wet (acid based) battery as these are a bit dangerous when warm, also, yu'll need to extend the charging circuitry.

I can try and get hold of a guide on how to install one, but it may take a while.

Tom (AofB)

1 x 93' Cinq SX
1 x 95' Cinq Sporting
= Loads a' fun!

Well, It was the battery install I was on about, A Dist block just needs 3 bolts. One for the power in a couple to fix it down and however many for the power out's.

Tom (AofB)

1 x 93' Cinq SX
1 x 95' Cinq Sporting
= Loads a' fun!

The battery is still a possibility for me but its seeming tricky on how you charge it and the whole setup of it all, if it is simple I'll go for it, it would be interesting if people have done this before and how hard it was to do

Car Audio is a bloody expensive hobby, I think I will need to buy a decent Headunit, im thinking of an Alpine MP3 jobby with 3 pre outs, my budget will be about £200-300, i got a fair bit of money to play with for my ICE

Thanks

Jamie

Just out of curiosity arseofbox:

Would you use a sealed lead acid battery internally? If so, I can't remember, but is the charging required for a SLA battery different compared to a standard wet battery?

Trouble with getting a second SLA battery is that a high capacity one isn't cheap! A 12v 2.1aH one costs £15-20 so I guess a 50aH one is over £75? Never looked into cost of a high capacity one.

Paul

Im not too sure whether its a lead acid or what...

Admittedly, It certainly isnt cheap, but Its only an auxillary battery - so charge transferrable might not be the biggest issue..

I'll get hold of the guide ce weekend!

IIRC - charging systems are identical, except there is a "contracter" switch that switches batterys over for charging, thats about £20!.

As for battery costs - If yu go to the right places batteries are cheap - I was looking at a 20Ah (I think) for about £25 inc VAT, but that was trade:D

Tom (AofB)

1 x 93' Cinq SX
1 x 95' Cinq Sporting
= Loads a' fun!

Back