Punto gearbox in panda

Currently reading:
Punto gearbox in panda

Batespeed

Hi folks,
And old fiat fan here
(I mean I'm old and like fiat's)
Over the last 40 plus years I've owned and thrashed, in no particular order, a fiat 127 with the old pushrod 903? Engine, X19 1500, 131 1600 ohv, 131 1600 twin cam, strada 1300 and 1500, and at least two Ducato vans. All, with the exception of the Ducatos had very willing revvy engines, that seemed a lot faster than they really were which made them a lot of fun to drive. There is probably more fiat's that I've forgotten. I was a mechanic in a fiat dealership for a while in the mid 80s.
I've been toying with the idea of getting a panda 1.2 with the euro 5 69 bhp engine, but the extremely high economy gearing is putting me off. That's fine if your on motorways with no hills, but I live in the Highlands of Scotland and am hardly on a dual carriageway never mind a motorway. I was checking out the ratios and final drive on 1.2 grande puntos and was wondering if anyone has ever put a gearbox from one in a panda 1.2. And if so how much of a difference does it make. The punto 1.2 is running 19mph per thousand revs in fith (with standard 175/65r15 tyres) whereas the economy gearing on the panda is something like 23 or 24 mph with 155/80r13s.
Even fourth in the panda is higher than fifth in the punto.
So in theory I could put on 15inch wheels and still be running lower, closer gearing. Or run 13s or 14s to lower the gearing even further if required, for track days etc.
Also does a sport exhaust and intake make any difference to this engine other than making it sound faster.?
Plus the 69 bhp euro 5 is only thirty quid a year to tax which is nice. Thanks guys, I know I should be old enough to know better, but I quite fancy the idea.
And a 1.4 8 valve out of a punto might be a longer term possibility too, who knows. 👍

Hi, I expect you will find quite a few "wrinkly old mechanics " here maybe not all Fiat trained, but certainly with a wide range of knowledge:).
Fitting smaller wheels/tyres if physically will fit, are one option but you have to weigh up the loss of ground clearance also, round our way there are so many speed bumps even standard vehicles can have a problem.
You may want to go on one of the websites that gives tyre size and aspect ratio choices to compare gearing / speed differences etc. to see if viable.
I agree about modern high ratio top gear in newer cars, I suppose it is to claim good economy figures, they forget we don't all live in Holland, Devon has it's fair share of hills also. The amount of holiday makers cars we fitted clutches to in the past, with the drivers moaning that they didn't realise Devon had hills when they started off from the cities;).

Hi and welcome:)

Someone's already done exactly that...
...by mistake!

Well, their garage put a Grande Punto 'box in a 2007 Euro4 Panda, not realising the final drive is different:

As you say, revs significantly higher, theirs was reported as pulling 4000rpm at 70mph in top (standard would be under 3500rpm).

Attachments

• gear ratios.jpg
    gear ratios.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 21
Back