Punto front speakers...

Currently reading:
Punto front speakers...

letsplayskatch

Evening all!
I was wondering if someone could reccommend a set of speakers which would fit into the front dash of a Mk1 Punto. Also, some dimentions would be good [i.e. size of the speaker hole]. Its not my car, so im asking on the behalf of the missus as its her car :)

Thanks people :)
Scott

They are 8.7cm (3.5") so choice is limited. Some occasionally come up on ebay, but most of the speakers I have found are way too deep and the grilles do not fit back on properly.

I have some Kenwood custom fit ones (the one with the tin foil tweeter) at the moment, which I got for £3 from a scrappys out of a chavved and crashed punto... and they work better than a set of £40 Blaupunkt coaxials

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Girlfriend has: these. They didnt fit [too deep, and too broad]. I now have them in my Fiesta.
They're good, and cope well when pushed :)
Hmm, the punto pod sure is an odd size then, tiny!

Uno - maybe you have some crossed wires somewhere? If they're new speakers and were 'broken in' when you first got them, then they shouldnt be distorting at low levels just yet.
My 6x9's were distorting when i had them at full whack, but i changed the wires over [the input ones which feed into the speaker itself] and they sounded much better.

Oh, just found these.
80W RMS isn't bad, considering its puney size! Not much else comes close at that price either i think :eek:

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I fitted pure tweeters in the front speaker compartments, they're rated at 60watt RMS with a capacitor fitted as standard to filter out bass and avoid crackling and distortion, and seeing as they arent on show i didnt wana buy anything too fancy, but something very loud, I got myself a set of mk4 VW polo tweeters (Audi's use the same) and they are SOOOOO loud, louder than much else ive heard and i fit a hell of alot of tweeters/speakers/subs (basically ice), they only needed minor shaving down and they sit in sideways partly under the hole where the wires cum through and they really are purely excellent quality, no distortion as far as i dare turn them up, they are around 3/4 of an inch deep too so no clearance issues there either, superb modification IMO (y)

PIC00571.JPG

PIC00570.JPG

letsplayskatch said:
Oh, just found these.
80W RMS isn't bad, considering its puney size! Not much else comes close at that price either i think :eek:
80 watt rms? i really think they mean max, you really cant get that high rms on them size speakers and for that price too, i payed nearly that for my jbl's and there 75 watt max.

uno_94 said:
80 watt rms? i really think they mean max, you really cant get that high rms on them size speakers and for that price too, i payed nearly that for my jbl's and there 75 watt max.

They are advertised as 85W RMS :)

Power ain't the be all and end all. Its a factor, but its not all to do power :) And while generally advertised WRMS increases with price, there are some exceptions :)

Hm i quieried the 80WRMS which is quoted in the eBay listing, so ive left them alone for now.

PIC00570.JPG

Ohh they sound nice, though do they have to sit ontop of the punto speaker grill...or does the 'shaving' involved mean that they sit below the grill? The picture looks like they sit ontop of the original grill. :eek:

Back