General Punto Evo (2011) 1.4 S/A Accelerating on its own.

Currently reading:
General Punto Evo (2011) 1.4 S/A Accelerating on its own.

Gr3ywolf

I will try to explain as best I can:

From stationary with no handbrake and the car in drive, it will not budge if I don't press the pedal; even when I do press the pedal and start moving, as soon as I let go the car with come to a stop - which I believe it is supposed to (although some semi-autos do creep from stand-still, but mine never has).

The issue of the car accelerating on its own, only comes after traveling at greater speed, and then slowing down to about 4-5 MPH, it is at this point that, while not pressing the pedal, the car will slowly starts to speed back up, going from approx 5mph, then on to 6, then 7 etc... I can see the revs increasing on their own and also feel the car accelerating. This usual happens mostly when I come to park the car, slowing first using the brake, then letting the car slow into position, except it starts to speed back up again.

Now, if I slow the car to under 4mph, then this usually wont happen and the car will come to an eventual halt.

Another issue - not sure if its related - is the car will sometimes hesitate of the line; say im waiting to pull out at a busy round about, I see a gap and push the accelerator, the car will begin moving, but slowly, then whilst maintaining the same pressure on the pedal, after about 2 seconds the car will take off like a rocket, and again, im not pressing the pedal any harder than at first.

Thanks for any advice given.

Please fill in some info. Actual engine type?.
Mileage?. Service history.etc
Thanks for the reply.

Im not very savy with car specs etc, so am a little unsure of what you mean by engine 'type'. As per the title of this thread, the car is a Punto Evo (2011) 1.4 Semi-Auto, additional details: Its the 'Dynamic' variant, around 77hp, 8v.

The car has done around 77K miles, and is serviced annualy.

Not sure how relevant it is, but, the check transmission warning light will come up intermittently, follwed by a beep and the message "Manual method unavailable, see vehicle handbook." I can get this message and the warning light go off, sometimes by simply changing to neutral and back into drive again, and then wont see the message or warning light again for a long while.

Also, I recently had the check engine waning light come up, which again went away on its own, I noticed no difference in the behavior of the car during any of these warning lights/messages. I had the vehicle checked at the last full service, and they were unable to replicate the issues, nor did they report any issues with the car...

Extra info... I have noticed what I believe to be slight judder sometimes when slowly accelerating from low speed, and also trying to maintain a constant low speed (sub 5mph) with my foot on the pedal causes some slight jerking motion (I believe its known as kangarooing...?)

I cant think of anything else atm... but if you need further info, I will do my best.

Thanks again.

I would reference the servicec schedule and see when the gearbox oil should be checked.

Then check your annual services to see if the gearbox oil was checked or topped up at the appropriate time.

If it doesn't show up on the work done then I would get the gearbox oil changed as its often overlooked. Check also for minor oil leakes round the driveshafts etc.

Tim

Back