General Punto EOBD

Currently reading:
General Punto EOBD

TeddyP

I wonder if anyone can shed any light on the problem with my Punto.

I have a 2001 5 dr Punto ELX 1.2 8v. Over the past month or so I have had problems with the car sort of kangarooing. A visit to the local dealer revealed a 'fuel mix' problem. They cleaned the fuel system and it worked fine for a week or so.

The problem has continued until today when seemingly driving effortlessly at about 70 mph suddenly the car gave a surge, kangarooed and then starting sounding like an old Volkswagen with the power of a small lawnmower.

Honestly, when approaching a junction it was like trying to pull away in third, despite being in first gear. I made it home though (much to the frustration of other motorists behind me!)

When the ignition is turned the light for the EOBD is now constantly on.

Anyone got any ideas?

Sounds like an air flow meter problem or a possible defective lamada probe.

Local dealer has done the diagnostics and states it is the ECU.

It's being replaced tomorrow for the princely sum of £311.00.

Just after I had spent my worldly savings on landscaping my garden:cry: !!

Thanks for your replies.

Why are you paying for a replacement of a defective part?

I do recall mention of a recall on the ecus, in which you shouldnt need to cough up the dough.

Argue with the service manager, you might get your money back.

I personally would not be paying...

alfa_v6 said:
Sounds like an air flow meter problem or a possible defective lamada probe.
These cars dont have an air flow meter it has a MAP sensor or a throttle position sensor.

The throttle position sensor has a recall on it, replacing yourself will cost £10.

I am still not happy with the idea that they are billing you to replace the ecu.

It should not just fail. If it does it would be a design fault which they should be replacing foc. You dont have wear and tear on a computer,
Tyres, brakes, petrol yes you replace them but an ECU?!?!?

Madness imo

Catseyes said:
Why are you paying for a replacement of a defective part?

I do recall mention of a recall on the ecus, in which you shouldnt need to cough up the dough.

Argue with the service manager, you might get your money back.

I personally would not be paying...

The recall was for coil drivers & despite this software update ECU's still go faulty,so you have no chance of getting a refund.

T14086 said:
The recall was for coil drivers & despite this software update ECU's still go faulty,so you have no chance of getting a refund.
says who?

And what is a coil driver, do you mean a coil pack? - What does this have to do with the ecu?

The updated software is one thing but a new ecu???

And ecu is just a computer with software on it, if the software is faulty you replace the software not the computer, unless there is something physical wrong with the hardware in which it is not the car buyers fault.

If something is defective, its defective. Its very simple.

If your car had a defect and it caught on fire should fiat give you a new car or is it just your bad luck.

If something is defective the manufactor is still responsible, this is why people like trading standards are in existance otherwise companies will get away with it....

Back