General Popin' Backbox

Currently reading:
General Popin' Backbox

cinqadele

Hey, I recently had a universal Backbox on my cinq sporting and wondering how I can get it to make loud-ish pops. It kinda pops on down shift but any way I can make loud pop?

Thanks Adele x

The pops are unburnt fuel getting into the exhaust system and then igniting.

My car will happily pop and flame on demand as it runs rich on overrun as part of the mapping. All you have to do is blip the throttle twice while stationary to get the effect. It certainly gets looks (possibly of alarm) on the motorway when I back off after accelerating.

None of this is particularly deliberate though - if you want to make your car do this you need to trick it into running rich which will hurt your fuel consumption and potentially destroy your catalytic converter as this tends to be one of the hottest points in the exhaust it is also where that fuel will most likely ignite. Fortunately my car doesn't have a cat and thanks to some careful recording of details on the V5 doesn't have to have one either which is just as well as it wouldn't last long.

If you really, really must have the overrun backfire effect there are ways to force the fuelling up. To get the flames is likely to be harder, putting a spark plug in the tailpipe (screwed in like a lambda sensor would be) provides an easy way to get ignition but the fuel has to be there. I've seen (very) illegal flamers use butane gas piped into the exhaust especially for this effect. With the engine running the flames extend a couple of metres behind but for all that this may look "cool" it is a surefire way of getting your car impounded or destroyed as the police will take great exception to it if they see it. If they don't get the guy driving the car behind you is likely to get pretty nasty about it when the paint on the front bumper starts to smoulder...

My car will happily pop and flame on demand as it runs rich on overrun as part of the mapping. All you have to do is blip the throttle twice while stationary to get the effect. It certainly gets looks (possibly of alarm) on the motorway when I back off after accelerating.

Mine used to do this, for exactly the same reason. A tuned engine running a custom ECU / mapping and not cat. It used to get a odd looks on the motorway; it would shot small blue/white flames when I lifted the throttle.

Not an expert, but I would say removing the cat will get you closer to the desired effect.

Must add that I'm not really a fan of it, unless it happens due to a modified engine. Backfires on downshifts are always fun.

Last edited:
A modern ECU controlled injection engine will switch off the fuel completely on the over-run, its an economy measure.

The cat will also dampen any possibility, even if forced, by switching the ignition off and back on.

Its very chavvy, unless you have a prepared competition car, and mine doesn't do it, even though its prepped.

On the other hand, put a carb and no cat and the world is your oyster, providing you don't want an MOT.

Cheers

D

Drill a hole aft of the cat, get a fuel vapour line from the fuel tank, put this line on a metal pipe into your exhaust.

*DO NOT DO THIS ITS PURELY A JOKE IF YOU DO, NOT MY PROBLEM!*

My first thought would be grow up tbh. Its just a cinq sporting :rolleyes: From what i have seen of silly boy racer cars stick an unnecessarily large jap-can style exhaust on it and make the car sound stupid and like it farting all the time and probably reduce the power it has then you will get more pops..

Last edited:
I see "Popin'" in the thread title and I have visions of a backbox standing on a balcony with a pointy white hat and white robes on, waving at a lot of Catholics ....

popinainteas128641995130132169.jpg

my scooby does this all the time.even better when anti lag switched on:D
turbo cars are best for getting proper bangs and easy to get mapper to add them

Back