General Poor old Marea Weekend

Currently reading:
General Poor old Marea Weekend

anfirmor

My lovely old Marea Weekend 1.9 JTD is fast approaching the end of the road. It has a crunching 2nd gear, dodgy EGR, intermittent crank/cam sensor fault where the only way to start it is to rock it on the starter at touch then it's off. Worn out disks and, among other things, some kind of sticky red fluid that's building in the passenger footwell (lhs). Yet it refuses to stick its toes up!

The thing is I really liked this car. Well balanced and responsive. A lovely secret amongst all those badges you see out there and not as attractive to thieves.

Now I'm thinking of moving on I've been toying with a 1.9 JTD Croma. Will I enjoy such a car or should I look elsewhere?

My lad works for a fiat dealer and has told me to keep well away. What I would like is a 2007 Marea. Oh well.

*looks out the window*

What can I see?

Croma 1.9 multijet - check
Marea 2.4 JTD - check

I've also owned a 1.9 JTD Marea weekend so I think I can speak with some authority on this. The 150bhp 1.9 Croma is quicker. You will be surprised how quick that chunky car can accelerate. The main downside is under-rated Vauxhall suspension. If you didn't know already, the Croma is a joint-enterprise car. GM provided the chassis and all the running gear. Fiat provided the engine and the electrics/shell/interior.

I think we have been the most unlucky Croma owner having to replace most of the parts with a GM badge on them upto the gearbox. Most other owners have not had such issues. When it's working, it's a great car for the money. When it goes wrong, the Croma section will probably know how to put it right. If the Marea already has 2 wheels in the scrap yard, the Croma is a reasonable replacement.

Thanks for the advice.

My lad just said that the rear swinging arms/suspension are a common problem on the Croma and the electrics aren't very reliable, but he's a grumpy little bugger sometimes. I shall get over to the Croma section and have a read.

The othe excellent thing about being a Marea owner is the helpful advice to be found on this forum. My wife has a MK4 Espace (junk) and trying to get technical information and advice is like trying to find an honest banker.

i have recently replaced my old marea weekend with a stilo jtd multiwagon and i have to say i am very impressed with the new car it feels so well built and eats miles up a treat and you can pick a 06 plate up for less than 3k now i see a 05 plate one for £1400 on autotrader too they have lots of space i can get my 3 kids on the rear seat too

I saw a Stilo Multiwagon 1.9 jtd on Autotrader. 04 plate for £1500. Again asked advice off the grumpy boy and got a long list of things that go wrong with them. He works for a fiat dealer and I think they have trained him in both spanner skills and how to do the sharp intake of breath. I may be tempted as they look outstanding value for money.

Thanks for the advice.

NOW. My Marea is putting up a bit of a fight to avoid the scrap yard. I have it stripped to the timing belt now as it has a intermittent cam sensor fault. Fiat cleverly put it behind the top cam pulley. I've a new sensor and belt kit on order for tomorrow.

Can anyone point me to a guide for changing this sensor and the cam belt. I'm struggling to understand the timing marks and would like to be sure before removing the old belt. I can't call on the lads services as he's up to his neck in nappies.

It's a 1.9 JTD 110 8 valve

Any pointers very much appreciated.

Back