Technical Poor MPG :(

Currently reading:
Technical Poor MPG :(

Marco77

Hey folks looking for advice my wife has had her 500 Street for 5 months having purchased from new the car has covered 2500mls but I have yet to see 50-60 mpg that the brochure claims for combined driving.

From a recent full tank the car covered 278 mls with the reserve light now on and 32 mls left on the range.

Having did my calculations that works out at 35 mpg a huge drop on the 50-60 mpg mentioned above. The trip computer does show 43 mpg and hardly ever moves.

My commute is mostly motorway at 50 mph with the odd wee run here and there but should I be concerned with these miles on a full tank.

Thanks in advance

Hey folks looking for advice my wife has had her 500 Street for 5 months having purchased from new the car has covered 2500mls but I have yet to see 50-60 mpg that the brochure claims for combined driving.

From a recent full tank the car covered 278 mls with the reserve light now on and 32 mls left on the range.

Having did my calculations that works out at 35 mpg a huge drop on the 50-60 mpg mentioned above. The trip computer does show 43 mpg and hardly ever moves.

My commute is mostly motorway at 50 mph with the odd wee run here and there but should I be concerned with these miles on a full tank.

Thanks in advance
What are you basing these calculations on?

Thanks in advance

You don't really get what it says on the tin unless you have feathers in your right boot.

306maxi if I include the remaining 35 miles on the range that takes it to 41mpg giving a total of around 310-320 miles from it being brimmed.

Chas379 considering I get 45-50 mpg all day long out my merc c250 cdi I consider the fiat's mpg to be poor I would have thought at the very lowest I'd be getting 48-50 mpg after all the car weights nowt.

306maxi if I include the remaining 35 miles on the range that takes it to 41mpg giving a total of around 310-320 miles from it being brimmed.
I really doubt that to be the case :)

Firstly, the tank of the 500 takes 42 litres if you brim it till fuel shows at the top of the filler. So how do you know that you're not getting 32 litres in? How do you know you're not getting 37 litres in? Or even 42?

The fuel gauge on a 500 will show full regardless of whether you have 32 litres or 42 litres in it.

To get an accurate handle on fuel economy, you should sign up on fuelly and either brim it till fuel shows at the top of the filler neck or fill it till it clicks x amount of times at the same pump at the same station and then you'll have a decent idea of what actual fuel economy you're getting, anything else is just guessing :)

Chas379 considering I get 45-50 mpg all day long out my merc c250 cdi I consider the fiat's mpg to be poor I would have thought at the very lowest I'd be getting 48-50 mpg after all the car weights nowt.
Your Merc is aerodynamic, the 500 isn't :)

My 1.2 POP spends most of its time on the motorway & usually gives about 54mpg running about 60mph.

Its @ 35k now but when miles were lower I did the same journeys @ 50mph & mpg was lower about 50mpg.

Its slowly getting better with age.

I fill brim to brim & my fuel figures match the fuel computer to 0.1 mpg.

Never made it past 400 miles on a tank & don't think I have ever put in more that 35 ltrs, usually around 30 ltrs after fuel light comes on.

Well impressed that some can get 42 ltrs in the tank.

:)

My 1.2 POP spends most of its time on the motorway & usually gives about 54mpg running about 60mph.

Its @ 35k now but when miles were lower I did the same journeys @ 50mph & mpg was lower about 50mpg.

Its slowly getting better with age.

I fill brim to brim & my fuel figures match the fuel computer to 0.1 mpg.

Never made it past 400 miles on a tank & don't think I have ever put in more that 35 ltrs, usually around 30 ltrs after fuel light comes on.

Well impressed that some can get 42 ltrs in the tank.

Well you have to run it low (I've run out of fuel once!!!!) and then fill it till you see fuel at the top of the filler neck, it's not recommended by the manual or by jrkitching, but I've not seen any adverse effects and I'm over 57k miles now, I had a 590 mile tank a couple of months ago ;)

Well you have to run it low (I've run out of fuel once!!!!) and then fill it till you see fuel at the top of the filler neck, it's not recommended by the manual or by jrkitching, but I've not seen any adverse effects and I'm over 57k miles now, I had a 590 mile tank a couple of months ago ;)

Ran out off fuel a few times when younger as well. For some reason this is the only car I have never pushed the fuel tank to the max.

Still remember the salesman saying that the 500 would come close to the 70mpg I was getting from my diesel Clio.

But it does not matters as I still smile to myself every time I look @ my 500, its been a few years since I could say that about a car.

Ha. I had a Merc. 2.5CDi an Audi A4 CDi, Audi TT & Jag S type. They were great cars and they drove me, with the 500 I drive it and get enjoyment. My right foot has lead in it but it's fun. Even more fun if you get an A500.

But of course if you are really fuel conscious then I can understand your arguments, but I'm not too bothered on this aspect, I drive and fill up as and when and am happy with 35 > 42mpg on the A500.(y)

Last edited:
In real life Fiats are not particularly economical, in my experience, but they get great results in the European economy tests.

These tests are changing soon, so I expect Fiat is at this minute working furiously on re-engineering its engines.

A Citroen DS3 1.6 petrol driven like stink realistically gets over 45mpg, even 50 plus, very easily.

Smaller Fiats driven carefully find it hard to match these figures, and it's the same with Diesel engines; Fiat's, although good, aren't as economical as many of the latest opposition.

I am hoping that in 2014 Fiat ups the engine game seriously.

Back