Technical Poor cornering..

Currently reading:
Technical Poor cornering..

koe_182

I have a stilo 1.2 16v and i have noticed recently that the handling round corners is pretty poor, feels likes its going to slide all the time. I have also noticed some uneven wearing on the front tyres.

also the ride on motorways seems a bit rough, almost like a bit juddery...

not technical in the slightest and no idea what it could be, can anyone suggest anything? thanks

Last edited:
You're going to have to jack it up and waggle the wheels to see what's really causing your problems but I'd suspect track rods ends first.
track rod end.JPG
Stilo should be smooth as silk on motorways and definitely not jittery
Check your tyre pressures of course, wheel bearings are as strong as ox, rack can wear depending on your road surfaces/ style of driving.

Just have to have a waggle and see what's moving

And check the front springs, see if one has broken somewhere, not sure that would cause your symptoms but worth a peek while your under there, its a known Stilo issue.

Mrs Ffoxys 1.2 rides smoothe and sweet, very predictable handling even on cheap tyres! (y)

just been to garage on way home, springs look ok...tracking is fine.

i have to go back on friday as their ramp was broken and they'll have a further nosey.

he said there was uneven wearing on the inside of the tyre on the driver side...

if it is the track rods, is this pricey to fix?

just been to garage on way home, springs look ok...tracking is fine.

i have to go back on friday as their ramp was broken and they'll have a further nosey.

he said there was uneven wearing on the inside of the tyre on the driver side...

if it is the track rods, is this pricey to fix?

Im not happy with that, i think your tracking is still out, if they tow out too much it will cause premature inner tire edge wear, IIRC tow should be 1 Degree towing out,,

Last edited:
I agree (y)

The only way you'll suddenly lose grip that badly on the front, that it's noticeable, is if the toe is way out.

Although I'd recommend EXACTLY 0° TOE (easy to remember too ;)) for minimum inner tyre wear.

mine is tracked perfectly but since the rear bush burst my handling is a bit squiffy as there is now movement in the rear axle

to check the movement on the rear axle, put the hadnbrake on and drive backward and forward against the brake and get someone to look for the car body moving around the wheel (and not just on the suspension, its front to back movement so the gap at the dead left and right hand side of the wheel as you look at it gets close or further away from the arch)

that said, this shoudlnt cause massive amounts of front grip loss, but for me its making right turns a piece of ****, and left a bit harder.

also check your tyre pressures as well

I know I don't have anywhere the technical nous of others in this thread, but if you feel the car is sliding round a corner could it not be naff tyres?

I had Dunlop SP2000's I think on the front and when ever I went 'enthusiastically' round a corner it 'felt' like I was sliding. Now I have Vred's all round I don't get that on corners!

right...had the wheel balancing done now and apparently miles off and seems miles better now at speed.

apparently i have a ball joint going as well on one side as its got some give in it, havent had it changed yet tho

Back