Technical PLEASE HELP (OVERHEATING and NOISES!?!)

Currently reading:
Technical PLEASE HELP (OVERHEATING and NOISES!?!)

Smeeshum

We just bought a 1998 Punto 60S and it still has 4 1/2 months warranty. It had done 53k when we got it and we have added nearly 2K in the month and a half we have had it.

Please can someone kind here help me with suggestions for 1 Problem I am having and help me diagnose 2 very very strange noises.

I am really enjoying the car after deciding to get a small one and it is the most we have ever spent on a car so I am a little concerned.

1.) OVERHEATING AND ELECTRICS

When I first got the car one day the interior fans were not working? I however went over a bump and they all kicked back in??
It then recently overheated after the switch going that controls the radiator fan. After checking the fuse I rigged up the fan to keep it on permanently until the garage we got it from could replace the switch. This has now been done and they had to bleed the water system as it had an airlock and the fan was still not kicking in. This appeared to have solved the issue however recently I have noticed the engine has been cooking up. You can smell it. Also when its really hot the fan occasionally does not kick in but other times it does. Its has since having the switch replaced and system bled cooked up and had the red warning light come on on 4 seperate occasions, twice after some serious miles and then sitting still in traffic or on a petrol forcourt 10 mins after starting the car. On one occasion it was noted that the electrics stopped altogether, no interior fans and no wipers and no rad fan? Turning the car off and on got everything running again.

It always smells extremely hot after driving, even on very very short journies. We have just done a tour of the south of england it it never gives us any problems when we are sat on major roads at 70 - 85 mile an hour only when we are stuck still in traffic. I have checked the fusebox in the car and under the hood and cannot find any dodgy fuses. I have also checked the water levels and they are fine, there is no discolouration of the water, nor is my oil cap showing any white froth. I am worried I am going to do some serious damage to the engine but I do not know what it could be and I dont want to get ripped off being told its not covered by the warranty. Please can someone throw some suggestions my way?

2. THE STRANGEST NOISE I HAVE EVER HEARD

When we very first start the car from cold you hear what can only be described as an electrical scream, (Much like R2D2 from Star Wars when he gets shot in the X-Wing For all those Star Wars fans) It does it at the highest end of the rev's until the car is warm then it goes away. It does this in gear or in neutral and does not sound like the squeal of a fan belt. The dealer told us it was normal for puntos and was something to do with the ECU warming up. I have since been in another Punto MK1 and it makes no such noise? What could it be and other than sounding ridiculous is it a problem I should be worried about.

3. OUR NEW NOISE (only in the last 2 weeks)

When I park our new car, even on the flatest surface you could find. I put the handbrake on, turn the engine off and you hear what only I can compare to the sound of if your brakes are half on, half off and you are being pushed or pulled. However the car is completely stationery and turned off. I originally thought it was just because we were parking on hills and it was just the brakes bedding in when you put the handbrake on until I realised it now does it whenever and whereever I park up?

We use the car every day and we cover some serious miles however even me listing these faults now the car still works. I just need to find out what these issues can be and see if I can get them fixxed in my warranty before it costs me a hell of a lot of money.You guys have been really helpful on here for me before and I hope someone can help us again on this occasion.

Thanks in advance

Scott

2. THE STRANGEST NOISE I HAVE EVER HEARD

Well I can answer that one ! .. definitely the timing belt tensioner ,common fault, dead easy to replace but best do the belt as well. Don't worry about driving it , the screeching bearing is not likely to disintegrate it's just a little embarassing !

For the overheating - 4 suggestions:

Do you know if the radiator has been flushed when the coolant was changed? It could be full of debris, preventing it allowing good heat transfer.

Are the fins of the radiator in generally good condition (i.e. is the airflow through the radiator good)?

The overheating (and maybe one of your noises) could be due to a failing/failed water pump bearing, giving rise to poor coolant circulation performance.

Although I am not familiar with your exact model, you can usually test the radiator fan circuit by removing the connector from the fan switch (aka otterstat) and shorting the connections with a suitable thick piece of wire, fooling the circuit into thinking that the switch has activated. Be very careful of the fan blades though!

Let me know how you get on.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies. The car overheated on me again today after 5 mins of driving. I phoned the garage I got it from and its going in with the list of problems and solves you have given me for them to do them all.
USed the car for the rest of the day and its been fine. So weird>??

Back