Technical Plastic threaded bonnet height adjustment bung

Currently reading:
Technical Plastic threaded bonnet height adjustment bung

Hi folks, my bonnet is out of alignment on 1 side (too low). How do u remove the old plastic adjuster from the front slam panel and how do these things adjust? My old one didnt seem to hardy turn, even with pipe grips so I brought another and although its threaded it still only moves 1/2 -1 turn (no where near the amount of thread? ). I am totally puzzled, when I asked my Fiat dealer they said they were too busy and I need to book the car in, which I wont be doing for this miror thing. Anyone tried doing this, the new one would clip in, but u can't unclip old one as the metalwork is in the way? Thx David

The adjuster mechanism is on a ratchet. Turn the top part (rubber,hexagon and knurled plastic with pointer) ¼ to ½ a turn clockwise to unlock the ratchet then pull the top part up to the desired height. Then turn the top part back anti-clockwise to re-lock it.

If you've already turned it more than ½ a turn or turned it anti-clockwise, you may have destroyed it.

Last edited:
Very unlogic design. Clockwise to release... I think I have ruined both mine years ago turning them anticlockwise to rise them as a bolt.

Yeah... the locking mechanism is left hand thread, no idea why. It's an uneccessarily complicated design just for a bonnet buffer. I ended up breaking one of mine out just to see how it worked. :eek:

New one is only £2 in the UK.

Same design on the boot, horrible. I may have ruined mine because it adjusts but just clicks back into the wrong place when shutting the boot lid.

Stoooopid design! Why over complicate such a simple part?

Back