Technical Petrol additives, do they help?

Currently reading:
Technical Petrol additives, do they help?

RedPeril

My 2009 Grande passed its last emissions test but, I dread the day when it doesn't. It's done about 70,000 miles now.

Do petrol additives that claim to reduce wear work? Do you use one? What do you use?

Any thoughts, ideas or experience?

Thanks.

I went through a phase of buying the manufacturer's branded own oil filter in the mistaken belief that I was buying something better than any other. For other filters etc I've always just bought whatever the factor was selling. The penny then dropped that the manufacturer's don't actually make their own filters and ever since I've just gone with whatever my local trade factor is selling, as long as it's a brand I know, (Mahle, Mann, Bosch, Crosland, Fram, etc, etc) and never had a problem. My local Factor now stocks NAPA stuff, which is a very big brand in the US. I'll probably end up with one of theirs at some time. I don't like buying this sort of stuff on line from an unknown supplier (although I'd buy from a trusted source like S4p or AutoVaux etc).
Fram seem to have disappeared from the UK market, and their UK factory opposite the Royal Mint in Llantrisant seems to have gone. So I'm not sure what happened there, did they just exit the UK market, or shut the business? Anything branded Fram might be good old stock, or just teh name stuck on something cheap.
Crosland used to be very good, but I believe the name is now owned by Euro Car Parts, so source is unknown. I don't think they got the factory with the brand name.
Mann still make most of their own filters, and would only put their name on good quality bought-in stuff. That'll be for me then.

Fram seem to have disappeared from the UK market, and their UK factory opposite the Royal Mint in Llantrisant seems to have gone. So I'm not sure what happened there, did they just exit the UK market, or shut the business? Anything branded Fram might be good old stock, or just teh name stuck on something cheap.
Crosland used to be very good, but I believe the name is now owned by Euro Car Parts, so source is unknown. I don't think they got the factory with the brand name.
Mann still make most of their own filters, and would only put their name on good quality bought-in stuff. That'll be for me then.
That's interesting. I noticed Fram filters on the shelf in the US when we were last over there, but that was about 5 years ago. We're considering a visit over there to see my sister before we all get so old we can't take the journey any more. If we go I'll be having a look see what brands they have in Auto Zone and others.
I don't see Mahle so much any more, and I liked their product.

Think Fram are still made in France
I remember going through their catalogue to find filter suitable for our old, late 90’s, kubota digger beginning of last year.
There’s three fram listed but, as on a previous thread, there’s only one that fits between bulkhead and injector pump

Just found this…fram, and other pretty well known filter manufacturers including cooper, are all under the Sogefi group, listed in Milan
They’ve owned Fiaam S.p since 1982

and, in a bit more intrigue and confusion, that’s all owned by the ‘investment’ company CIR, which has Sogefi, Gedi media (la stampa etc) and KOS (Healthcare), with the first two having the Agnelli links, which is odd as they divested from the component side, all very cloak n dagger!

Coopers/Fiaam and Fram are present here and, according to website, are OEM for nearly everyone from Fiat to Volvo, Ford to GM, Citroen to Jaguar/Landrover and many more

Back