Technical pendulous idle btw 1000 - 2000 rev

Currently reading:
Technical pendulous idle btw 1000 - 2000 rev

JoePro

Hi!
I have a Barchetta -95 where the idle goes from 1000 to 2000 rev and back down to 1000 again, very evenly as a pendulum. The idle control valve is new.
Any ideas?

2 things to consider: What happens if you disconnect the ICV ? Did you disconnect the battery for a few minutes after installing the new control valve? That re-sets the CPU. This could clarify, or maybe even solve your problem.

Thank you for your reply! I will try to disconnect the ICV and see what happens. Do i disconnect that while the car is running or before i start? The battery has been disconnected the entire winter so, that is not the problem :)

Disconnect while the car is running. If nothing changes, you have learned something ;). If something changes, you have also learned something.
To give an example: when your car is running and you disconnect the sensor on the thermostat, the radiator fan will turn on. If this doesn't happen, then you know that the sensor is bad.
You might take a look at this thread:

The b is a complicated little beast, but most of its problems are the result of faulty sensors (or their connections). A bit of Contact spray will work wonders.
Just to be clear: replacing your brake-wear sensor will not fix your rear suspension ;)

Hi again! Now i have tried to disconnect the ICV while engine running. This is what happened
At start (ICV connected) the rpm goes from 1000 to 2000 rev and back down as expected, I disconnect the ICV and the rpm directly goes to a steady ~900 rpm :) i connect the ICV again (while engine running) and the engine stays at the steady idle. So i turn off the egnie again (with connected ICV and when i start the engine the symptom is back, rpm goes from 1000 to 2000 until att disconnect ICV and connect it again.
So clearly there is an ICV problem, however is it the control of the ICV or the ICV itself?

As the ICV is very expensive, i prefer not to just try to replace the ICV before im sure it's a faulty ICV

If you look around the site you will find instructions about how to clean the ICV. This fixes most problems.
If you dismantle the ICV for cleaning, remember to replace the gasket ;)
grtz
Eric

I fixed the problem by replacing the cheap (new) MaxGear ICV valve with one from Hitachi. Lot of time spent on troubleshooting when the problem was inferior brand MaxGear!

Reactions: tjr
Back