General Pedal Extensions

Currently reading:
General Pedal Extensions

muppet42

by name and by nature
Had a search on the other topics in this Stilo section but couldn't find anything giving a definite answer. Basically, I wanted to ask...what's the best way to fix a Stainless Steel/Aluminium pedal extension to the plastic accelerator pedal?

Just that the Sparco pedals I bought are fixed with machine screws and bolts and although I obviously drill into the plastic pedal, there doesn't appear to be any way of putting the bolts on due to the lattice type plastic structure of the pedal.

I thought about sawing out the plastic latticing to make space, but not sure if that'd compromise the strength too much. Of course, I could just drill the hole and screw in the machine screw, but not sure if it'd be secure enough without the bolt.

Anyway, I'd be most grateful if anyone could provide any tips on the best course of action :)

Last edited:
I was thinking of pedal covers / extensions for my car and the set I had in mind were the ones fitted to the new Bravo Sporting models, the pedals on which seemed to be carried over from the Stilo.

Fiat Dealer locally quoted £125 for the pedal covers :eek: Similarly styled items, bright chrome with black rubber strips running across them, from Demon Tweeks weigh in at around a tenner ;)

From memory pedal covers do bolt through, even the flimsy looking plastic accelerator pedal! Would get yourself along to a Fiat dealer and take a peek at a Stilo or new Bravo with them fitted for inspiration (y)

Last edited:
Aye, Fiat do charge rather a lot for small options like that, but then I guess most car manufacturers do the same, especially the German brands where the options list is extensive to say the least.

I think I should be fine drilling into the plastic accelerator pedal. I'm just worried it'll work itself loose and need re-tightening. I guess if that happens, I can always apoxy a plastic tube in to act as a sort of Rawplug.

Either way though, these pedals will look the business once fitted. Wanted to fit them to one of my cars for years and not bad for £24.

Last edited:
Tried to put the pedal extensions on yesterday, the retaining screws seemed to be made of stupidly soft metal, so the allen key holes in them disintegrated and the screws got stuck. Had to take a hacksaw to them and I've bought some same size, but flat head screw driver screws as a replacement.

Looks like it's going to be awkward to get the bolts on the screws though as the arms of the pedals are directly behind where I have to drill. Going to have a space for the bolts themselves drilled in. Damn, the easiest looking jobs always end up being the hardest :(

I used the original FIAT Foot Rudder Kit for the Stilo, nice styling, easy to fit, all holes pre-drilled, just remove the rubbers on originals and screw the new ones on and only £39 for the set..........................................

I used the original FIAT Foot Rudder Kit for the Stilo, nice styling, easy to fit, all holes pre-drilled, just remove the rubbers on originals and screw the new ones on and only £39 for the set..........................................

You know it makes sense..;)

Wouldn't have minded hearing about this before hand, oh well :eek:

I'd go out and get them, but I've got those lovely looking Sparco one's sat there, which I can't return due to 2 of the screws being chopped in pieces.

Think I've got 3 options...1) Get the Fiat kit and be £24 out of pocket 2) try the Sparcos again and perhaps break the plastic accelerator pedal or 3) give up and live with the black rubber/plastic pedals I have :chin:

Of course there is special option 4) I fit the Sparcos, everything goes well and it looks minted...

Try again!

Attachments

• IMG_1500.JPG
    IMG_1500.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 148
I'm goin round one of the mates to help him fit a driveshaft and other stuff to his Ye Olde Civic. While doing that, I'll get him to have a look as well.

Still really want the Sparcos though :(

I guess I can leave them to one side for my next car if there's no way I can fit them to the Stilo.

Cheers for the photo Twincamms, gives me something to think about (y)

Well, tried to put the pedals on and to no avail. Looked more hassle than it would be worth and didn't want to wreck that acclerator pedal. Shall keep the Sparco's for my next car as I said. My mate was lookin at putting them on his Pug 106, but doesn't look like they'd fit that either because of the angle of the clutch pedal.

Shall maybe try those Fiat one's later down the line at some point.

Just a little follow up...bought the Fiat one's on eBay...£26.01 plus £5 postage. Fitted them today and they look well smart. Thanks sent your way Twincamms for the heads up on them (y)

Still had to drill into the pedals though, but was easier as the spacing was just about correct. The welds on the pedal legs were dodgy though, so ended up breaking 3 drill bits making space for the bolts (they were cheapo one's though, so no worries).

So, I now have decent looking pedals that replace the dodgy ripped black rubber one's I had before and I didn't pay full price either :D

Last edited:
Back