Pay as you drive

Currently reading:
Pay as you drive

This pay as you drive thing is working out good for me at the moment.

they are upgrading the box, so they had to turn it off so i got FREE car insurance for the whole of september!

and yestarday they wrote to me to tell me thye are still upgrading so i can have FREE insurance all October as well (y)

3.5p per mile would work out to £800 a year insurance for me.
As it is I renewed for £258 (with 12 months interest free credit too (y))
H

i think the trackers are a great idea, because any technology can be fooled or bypassed so its basically an opportunity to save loads of money.

lets assume the tracker is the same as the very best vehicle security trackers (probably wont be as good due to cost but better safe than sorry)
the tracker system works even if the car is switched off, even if its in a house or garage or multistorey car park, even when the battery is disconnected, even if its in a shipping container with lead plating on all sides (as thieves discovered more than once). you cant switch it off or they'll notice straight away. so how do russian car theives manage to send police on wild goose chases just for the fun of it when stealing supercars across europe?

all you need to do is create a cloned tracker on a standalone system. you disable the incar system after you activate the stand alone system, making sure they both have synchroned codes in exactly the same place during switch over (luckily the tracker system cant distinguish between 2 identicle code series in exactly the same place due to using only the code as the identifyer, if they added something else it can also be cloned, even a rolling code can be cloned if access to the tracker's chip is available, just like a remote key cloner).

then you leave the standalone clone tracker in the garage while you drive around where ever you want as fast as you want with no risk or cost. obviously the average joe wont be able to bypass the system, and the goody goodys wont want to, but anyone who really wants to will be able to, thats the law of technology. the other law is that it will be cheap enough for the vast majority of people who want it to afford it, thanks to market forces the people who sell it wont want to price themselves out of the market, and as more people offer the service the price will drop further. the hardware costs cant be very high, a security tracker system doesnt cost much, its the labour to fit it that costs more, and the subscription costs are a pain. with a tracker bypass you only need to by the clone tacker once and pay for the clone coding service once.

i bet they'll even advertise the service in your local paper one day, in exactly the same way they advertise 'milage adjustment services' now, they're just mobile car clockers if the truth be known. the tracker cloning adverts will probably read 'tracking system upgrades and repairs' or something like that, and for a few hundred quid you can decide how much tax and insurance you pay. as long as the recorded use is realistic you wont get caught.

Im afraid this is the time of Big Brother watching you!.

I dont agree with it although i have nothing to hide i still like to think i have a little privacy without ppl knowing where i am.

What next a tax on where you walk at certain times of the day???

hi everyone, ma first post on this website.

Just about the gps trackin devices, I work as a transport consultant and discussions wiv the DfT are that similar devices are expected to be rolled out nationwide by 2015 on a zoning system - inner cities areas anywhere up to £1.36 per mile, rural areas from 5p per mile. This will be used for tax purposes, but it is likely to record speed and location due to the nature of the GPS device and the way the charges are calculated. All in the name of reducing congestion. This may also be tied to insurance.

Whilst the plans are not finalised, they are in the works and it is likely that they will be implemented. I, like many in transport consultancies across the UK are against the plans as the potential impact of data security is huge and the legal issues surrounding such a scheme are risky at best.

any way, I am loving the new Grande Punto n how to have enuf pennies to have my own my new year! woo hoo, beats the smelly bus!

(ps, some mite think i am one of these right wing guy unenvironmental types, but no! I am every environmentally aware, however when it comes to car and travel, its the government and car manufacturers that force us into making choices that contribute to environmental damage, if only they invested our money in efficient, high quality rapid transport, developed greener technologies such as hydrogen, methane, sterling engine, wankle engine solutions which have been available for 30 years, the problems that the poiiticians are obessessin about wouldnt be there! the same applies for renewable/nuclear power)

i was looking into this as i was thinking it'd save me money, as i don't do that many miles etc. but then i do occasionally see my friend who lives 100+ miles away and quite often drive back in the night/early morning! so that's £100 ish just for one journey, plus the cost of getting there. 4 trips soon plus usual would put it over my renewal cost. silly. plus i don't want to be tracked. even if i have nothing to hide i don't trust people to use that just for insurance. bit like having a database of dna! i'd never trust that with the police, in fact round here i don't even trust the police as it is.

Isnt there a large initial outlay for the kit, or some form of signing up with them for so many years? I cant see how if it works out so cheap the insurers pay for the equipment etc, never mind the real time tracking of the vehicle.

Back