Technical Passenger Side (UK) drive shaft oil seal leak

Currently reading:
Technical Passenger Side (UK) drive shaft oil seal leak

Mmmh, looks like there is Something wrong ... Can you double check your VIN ?

Attachments

• bad VIN.JPG
    bad VIN.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 39
Managed to do it myself. Thanks for the image you provided of the parts site.
The part numbers i need are:

14460180 SEAL GASKET
40004620 SEAL GASKET

I'm not sure which UK parts site I can order these from though.
I've tried the popular parts sites but these part numbers dont seem to be available!!

Last edited:
The part number for the O ring has changed
Fiat now list it as 55250953.

Managed to get them ordered from my local garage.

Can both these seals be replaced without removing the square flange plate?
(dont want to disturb the preloaded shims and bearings)
Thanks

The part number for the O ring has changed
Fiat now list it as 55250953.

Managed to get them ordered from my local garage.

Can both these seals be replaced without removing the square flange plate?
(dont want to disturb the preloaded shims and bearings)
Thanks

Seal can be done with plate in situ, but as it is a removable plate, easier to do with it off, and quicker, so cheaper. O-ring will be inside plate, so removal necessary.
If just removing and refitting same plate, pre-load will be unaffected, so no worries.

Well, I changed both seals, but it is still leaking. It's a very slow leak and seems to be coming from above the shaft output flange (square plate). Could be the gear selector shaft I suppose??

Thanks for the info on this post, I've been working on my son's punto and looks like the seal is leaking on his too.
There is a warning light on the dash telling me the tailgate is open, when it's definitely closed, is the switch in the locking mechanism ?. Cheers steve

Last edited:
Well, I changed both seals, but it is still leaking. It's a very slow leak and seems to be coming from above the shaft output flange (square plate). Could be the gear selector shaft I suppose??
There have been several reports of leakages form the selector mechanism. There must be a breather on the top somewhere, worht checking that is clear too.
There is a warning light on the dash telling me the tailgate is open, when it's definitely closed, is the switch in the locking mechanism ?. Cheers steve
Yes, switch is in the lock. Might just need as clean, or the tailgate adjusting to close better. Open the tailgate. Use a screwdriver shaft or similar to close the latch and see if the light goes out. If it does, the tailgate needs adjusting. If not, it will be the switch. Don't forget to release the latch before closing the tailgate. Operate the handle and use the screwdriver again to pull the latch open.

There have been several reports of leakages form the selector mechanism. There must be a breather on the top somewhere, worht checking that is clear too.

Yes, switch is in the lock. Might just need as clean, or the tailgate adjusting to close better. Open the tailgate. Use a screwdriver shaft or similar to close the latch and see if the light goes out. If it does, the tailgate needs adjusting. If not, it will be the switch. Don't forget to release the latch before closing the tailgate. Operate the handle and use the screwdriver again to pull the latch open.
Checked the boot lock and still showing the warning light when using screwdriver. Is the lock repairable or do you throw them away and replace ?. Thanks for any help

The microswitch on the lock is not repairable a they are plastic welded together. Get the trim panel off and locate the wires. Bridge them and see if this extinguishes the light. If it does, needs a new switch/lock, or perhaps a permanent bridge. If this does not fix it, check the hatch wiring where it crosses between hatch and car. The constant twisting can fray the wires. There's a repair kit for the 500 on Ebay, might be a Punto one too.

The microswitch on the lock is not repairable a they are plastic welded together. Get the trim panel off and locate the wires. Bridge them and see if this extinguishes the light. If it does, needs a new switch/lock, or perhaps a permanent bridge. If this does not fix it, check the hatch wiring where it crosses between hatch and car. The constant twisting can fray the wires. There's a repair kit for the 500 on Ebay, might be a Punto one too.
Thanks for the reply, will give it a go and let you know

Get the trim panel off and locate the wires. Bridge them and see if this extinguishes the light.

Not quite right ! When the hatch is closed, the light circuit is open ; if the hatch is open, the light is grounded thru the switch .
So if you jump the wires the light should lit and not extinguishes . You probably the wire from bulb to switch grounded somewhere.

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Attachments

• Boot light switch.JPG
    Boot light switch.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Back