Technical Panda Turbo Engine

Currently reading:
Technical Panda Turbo Engine

chlblnz

Hello,

I have just acquired a mint 95 CLX1000 and whilst driving her home, found that she sucks at going up hills. Immediately wanting more power I started to look at possible engine swops.

The Uno turbo seems an obvious choice but there does seem to be a real lack of complete engines (loom, ecu etc) and so have started looking slightly further afield.

Does anybody know if the Punto GT engine will fit as I believe it started life as a FIRE engine? Are there any other turbo charged engines available that wont break the bank to implant?

Cheers in advance

Based on consensus in the Cento section the GT lump is too heavy and will compromise overall handling, for ease of install and general reliability the 1.2 (8v or 16v) and the 1.4 16v FIRE/SuperFIRE units seem to be the best options. Lewey would be the man to speak to IMO.

The Uno turbo seems an obvious choice but there does seem to be a real lack of complete engines (loom, ecu etc) and so have started looking slightly further afield.

Does anybody know if the Punto GT engine will fit as I believe it started life as a FIRE engine? Are there any other turbo charged engines available that wont break the bank to implant?
First of all congratulation on your purchase. I am glad you have seen the light and chose a panda.
I would recommend, before you get involved in a engine swap, to service properly your 999 unit and give it a chance to perform at its best.
If you still crave for more power, I certainly would not consider the turbo option. You would need to throw some serious cash at the conversion. Firstly, you need a decent donor, probably need to rebuild the engine as it is very likely to have been thrashed by previous owners and they are not the strongest of engines. Secondly you will need to upgrade brakes (limited possibilities without serious modifications) suspensions, the panda gearbox would probably not be too keen on all that extra power and torque, so you will need to consider a different gearbox. Obviously the mounts will need to be custom made etc.
Even if you manage to pull it off and successfully fit the engine, intercooler and all other ancillaries, I would dread to think how much that car would cost to insure...
Look at 1.2 conversions, far easier and cheaper; the result is pretty impressive already in my opinion. Even the 1.2 8v is a good upgrade, and it will just drop in. Remember it is a panda you just bought, not a skyline.
If, in the other hand, you have a bigger budget, you are a confident DIY mechanic and love your auto electrics, go for a 1.4 conversion. That's about as far as I would go.
But please don't listen to anything I say and start an insane project :D

Hello to you and welcome...

Great intro......tell 98% of the forum with standard cars that their pandas suck.

Try a search as this question has been asked and there is lots of info on mods with threads showing full conversions...even with pretty pictures.

OP should have got a 1.1 Selecta if they wanted speed :rolleyes:

Back