Technical panda rally car...ideas please

Currently reading:
Technical panda rally car...ideas please

sumouno, deffo consider formula1000, cheapest way into stage rallying and a great club. check out there forum. (forum.formula1000)

Your rollcage doesnt need to be fia approved it can be msa approved. these are normally bolt-in cages so are cheaper than weld-in.

sounds like fun, a mate of mine has a "farm use only" panda 4x4 with an Uno Turbo lump in it, he said its a mad car!! hes lucky to only be using it in fields, any smaller space and would end up in ditch, but surely must be fun thou! I like the idea of the 1.2 engine, but in 16valve form would be better.

Or for classic style tuning, how about an X1/9 1.3 or 1.5 engine? would any of those fit you think?

sounds like fun, a mate of mine has a "farm use only" panda 4x4 with an Uno Turbo lump in it, he said its a mad car!!

Sorry to be sceptical, but sounds like pub talk from your mate. Any pics of this conversion, or have you actually seen this for real? A UT engine will tear apart the transmission of a 4x4 Panda as it simply isn't designed to cope with that amount of torque and power. Not only that but MAJOR modifications are required to fit it and it won't mate up to the standard transmission without bellhousing changes. I can't see why someone would go to all that trouble for a "farm use only" Panda...

Or for classic style tuning, how about an X1/9 1.3 or 1.5 engine? would any of those fit you think?

That's the same Lampredi design of engine that the Uno Turbo engine is based on. They're good engines but heavy and will NOT bolt straight into a Panda without a lot of work. Not much point in fitting them when the easily available FIRE engines are almost a bolt in swap, plus the FIREs are much lighter and will therefore give far better handling compared with a Lampredi engined Panda.

As it's already been said several times, before you do anything on the car decide what rallies you're going to compete in and which regulations apply. Become a member of the MSA and get a blue book. I'd also join a motor (sport) club, as they will be able to offer you stacks of help and advise in ensuring you prep the car to the right level for the competition you are going to partake in.

Have you thought about enduro rallying? The one we took part in couple of weeks ago had a sub 1000cc class, although I am not sure there were many competitors in it. The max engine size for this type of rallying is 1400cc petrol or 2000cc diesel (NA) which makes it a fun budget (ish) event.
Engines for this must be standard though, although some suspention mods are allowed.

Well as I said he "said" he had one, I aint seen it but it sounded mad and fun to me, not a fan of Turbo engines myself.

Sounds like your mate is pulling your leg ;) However, if it's true why not ask to go and see it and take some pics to post up on here? Shouldn't be too difficult seeing as he's a mate of yours and would probably love to show off his handywork. Maybe even get some advice on how he went about the conversion as a lot of members enquire about fitting a UT lump into the Panda.

As for the X1/9 engine, I didnt know all the ins and outs of the fitting side, hence why I asked if it would fit.

Hence that's why I gave the ins and outs of fitting it ;)

Any engine can be made to fit any car given enough time and money, and some are much easier to fit that others. The FIRE family of engines are always going to be the easiest as they're based on the 750 and 999cc engines that are standard Panda fitment. The moderator in this section runs a 1242 16v Panda and another member has just completed a 1.4 16v Panda. Both have threads explaining the build process along with loads of pics.

As mentioned above, why not get your mate to start a thread on how he built a UT engined 4x4 Panda?

well considering since Ive moved from Dorset where this motor is, I now live in Essex, but I will be going back down in May for visit, so I may catch up with him to get more insite to his field motor :)

Ive seen that 1.4 panda, I think its mint! :)

and what are your thoughts on a 1.2 16v panda? :)

well considering since Ive moved from Dorset where this motor is, I now live in Essex, but I will be going back down in May for visit, so I may catch up with him to get more insite to his field motor :)

Ask him to take pics now and send them to you or post up on here (y)

and what are your thoughts on a 1.2 16v panda? :)

Street Sleeper! :devil:

Back