Styling Panda phone mount

Currently reading:
Styling Panda phone mount

DaveMcT

Distinguished member
A vacuum sucker phone mount is pretty rubbish on a Panda as it hides your view or is out of reach. And they fall off. And you need a long USB wire for charging. Panda dash will not take a sucker mount and I like to have all air vents working so something else is needed.

I made a mount that uses the radio DIN key holes. It's a strip of steel about 20mm x 4mm and 60mm long. The phone cradle is an ordinary thing with a stiff flexible arm. The ball joint top end simply unscrews from the arm (which is now scrapped).

Drill two 3mm holes into the steel strip 35mm apart (check the radio to confirm). Drill another hole at one end and tap to M5.

Cut the prongs off the DIN extractor tool. I have one longer than the other so the radio is not loosened and it can't be used to easily remove the radio. I tack welded the ends into the steel strip, but you could thread the prongs and use two nuts. You could also use any source of 3mm steel wire.

Drill out the ball joint peg to 5mm and countersink the end. A suitable countersink bolt goes through and into the bracket. A nut on the back stops it shaking loose.

I like the phone near to the steering wheel where I can easily adjust sat nav settings. But you can flip the bracket to sit it higher or make it longer.

Attachments

• Phone mount 1.jpeg
    Phone mount 1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 405
  • Bracket from back.jpeg
    Bracket from back.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 87
  • Bracket from front.jpeg
    Bracket from front.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 77
Back