• Cinq

Votes: 36 50.0%
  • Other

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • either

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters

ukpete1

Which would make a better first car, the old Panda (the one that came out in '90) or a Cinquecento?

I wont be getting either for about a year, just curious to see what people think.

I'd have to say as someone who had a cinq as a first car, that it'd have to be the cinq.
Go for the sporting too :) perfect to learn in, cheap to run and fuel, and probably more reliable/robust than the panda. :)

Swings and roundabouts.

Cinquecento

Pros:

Plenty to choose from.
More recent and more modern
Wealth of knowledge
Very good parts availability
Nippy and economical
Fun to drive

Cons:

Cooling system issues if neglected
Can be a PITA to work on (you WILL have to at some point!)
Cramped engine bay
Sporting model invariably thrashed by young inexperience drivers.
Slight rust problems
More expensive than a Panda

Panda

Pros:

Very enthusiatic following
Simple to work on
Plenty of room in engine bay
Surprisingly nippy for its small engine capacity
Cheap to buy (4x4 excepted, though prices are on the rise for all models)
Very economical
Fun to drive

Cons:

Rust, rust and RUST. Good ones last well but neglected examples rust to bits.
Getting old now - hard to find good examples
Will need work unless owned by enthusiast
Brakes a bit poor on non servo models
Parts availability not as good as Cinq
Low value leads to many being neglected - many tatty examples out there
Those who don't know think you are weird for having one

Conclusion

Both have plenty of virtues to commend them. The Panda will need a bit more care and attention being older and it will be harder to find spares such as body panels and trim. The Cinq will cost more to buy but there are plenty of spares out there at reasonable prices, however cooling systems can be problematic unless maintained well.

Really it's down to whether you want an older and rarer car, or a more recent and slightly more common car. Only you can decide the final outcome ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice everyone.(y)

As I have never had any previous experiance with either car I cannot make any final decision just yet.

I kind of ruled the Cinq Sporting out before posting this poll because I presume it would cost too much for insurance for a first time driver.

Taking all things into account I think the Panda is more suited to me, nothing against the Cinq or Seicento, thier both great cars, but I just prefer the Panda.

1986Uno45S, your post was very helpful. I've never been one to follow the crowds, and maybe that the Panda is rarer (although maybe for good reason) is part of why I want one.

And I don't think a Cinq has ever beaten the Orient express;)

no don't rule out the sporting, its not all that much at all, its only a 1.1 at the end of the day.
the smaller engines have a tough time keeping up in todays world really, and although its only for a learner, when they pass and are out on motorways and such they'll be thankful for a little extra go when its required.

of course the final desicion is to be made by you, but i'd say the difference in price for insurance will be minimal.

:)

Swings and roundabouts.

Cinquecento

Cons:

Cooling system issues if neglected
Can be a PITA to work on (you WILL have to at some point!)
Cramped engine bay
Sporting model invariably thrashed by young inexperience drivers.
Slight rust problems
More expensive than a Panda

Cooling system issues? What issues :confused: Its not that bad to work on, its rather quick compared with things like a Clio/Corsa.

Whats does a cramped engine bay have to do with anything? Nearly all std Cinq Sportings are driven like granny shopping cars.

Rust? Crikey they must be bad examples. And more expensive, sure, but the panda's are sheds ;) And most gooood examples are going to be as expensive as the cinq.

Cooling system issues? What issues :confused: Its not that bad to work on, its rather quick compared with things like a Clio/Corsa.

Have a look in the 'Cento section right now and see how many "overheating" threads you can spot, along with head gaskets failing (normally as a result of overheating). In other words, those cooling system issues :rolleyes:

Of course, if the cars were maintained better then the cooling systems would be fine. Unfortunately many never get a coolant change until after the headgasket has gone.

Whats does a cramped engine bay have to do with anything? Nearly all std Cinq Sportings are driven like granny shopping cars.

Makes it much more awkward to work on (which you WILL be doing). Ever tried working on a classic Mini? Skinned knuckles and not enough room to swing spanners? Some jobs on a 'Cento are much the same whereas the Panda has a lot more room for work access on the engine.

Rust? Crikey they must be bad examples.

I said slight rust problems. Again, look through the 'Cento section and see how many have holed inner rear arches, and some have rust in outer wheel arches and front wings. Don't forget the newest Cinqs are 9 years old so many have been used and abused and have rusting battle scars. It's just one thing to remember when looking at a 'Cento.

And more expensive, sure, but the panda's are sheds ;)

Cue angry Panda owners refuting this blanket statement.

And most gooood examples are going to be as expensive as the cinq.

Only the 4x4 models. 2x4 Pandas are still available at bargain basement prices or a little more if looked after.

And as I said at the start of my thread, it's a case of swings and roundabouts.

Last edited:
Panda... both will need maintaining properly to ensure reliability, but ultimately the Pandas are easier and cheaper to work on. Being less complicated means problems are simple to fix, that is of course if you choose the pre CAT and injected engines.
Ive had both, the Cinq is the better to drive but the Panda has it for me.
Of course, there are also Unos...

I've owned my Panda for over 3 years (since passing my test when I was 17) and I've driven a few Cinquecentos and Seicentos when I fancied a change at one point. The Panda always put a smile on my face after driving the 'centos, but each to their own (and they were hardly what you call minters).

The Panda actually appeared in the very early 80s and was sold here until early '95 (production continued in Italy until 2003). If you have any questions pop over to the Panda section and say hello, we're a friendly (if odd) bunch.

Last edited:
Have you ever thought of saving up a few more pennies and getting a mark II panda? If all you want is a small engine, cheap to run car, then the new panda is absolutely superb. Can pick up some of the older ones now for very little if you're prepared to look.

im gonna have to say punto

i'd say its the best compramise

between size and style, costs about

the same and theres a wide

variety of aftermarket parts avalible if

your a fan of the modding scene

but it all really boils down to your own

personal tastes

Punto FTW :devil: if not a cento. pandas are cool but alot of work to find a nice one these days, or if you can find one how about an uno????
or save up a bit more for a seicento
there quite cheap now and a bit better looking than a cinq or panda, no where near as nice as puntos though, hehe

Back