General Panda on the Mongol Rally

Currently reading:
General Panda on the Mongol Rally

bluefalkin

Hi All,

Me and a friend from NZ are planning on getting a Panda and driving it from London to Russia on the Mongol Rally, some of this would include some pretty poor road conditions, especially through Kazakhstan / Mongolia.

At this point in time we are looking at getting a 1993 FIAT 1000 Fire Panda.

Would be much appreciated if you have any input into the following questions.

1. What spare parts we should carry with us, as i don't think there will be much in terms of spares in the middle of Mongolia

2. Suspension is one of our main concerns and we were thinking of carrying one front and one rear set as back up.

3. Any advise on what is the best way to raise the suspension 20-30cm? The point of this is just to provide us with some more ground clearance on **** roads.

4. What tyres / size would you recommend ? I have read some posts which say 165 seems to be working well.

5. Has anyone got a copy of the workshop manual ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi All,

Me and a friend from NZ are planning on getting a Panda and driving it from London to Russia on the Mongol Rally, some of this would include some pretty poor road conditions, especially through Kazakhstan / Mongolia.

At this point in time we are looking at getting a 1993 FIAT 1000 Fire Panda.

Would be much appreciated if you have any input into the following questions.

1. What spare parts we should carry with us, as i don't think there will be much in terms of spares in the middle of Mongolia

2. Suspension is one of our main concerns and we were thinking of carrying one front and one rear set as back up.

3. Any advise on what is the best way to raise the suspension 20-30cm? The point of this is just to provide us with some more ground clearance on **** roads.

4. What tyres / size would you recommend ? I have read some posts which say 165 seems to be working well.

5. Has anyone got a copy of the workshop manual ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi and Welcome

1. Have you heard of Mongolia Charity Rally? Mongol Rally is made for huge profit (over £150k each year) not giving you any support on the way other than 'boozze' nights in Pragha or Budapest. Mongolia Charity Rally is 100% charity as the original rally in late '90.

2. You're asking way to much at once, all those info are here in other Mongol rally threads - just use search.

3. Suspension - did you meant 2-3cm not 20-30cm as that would be laugh. Sump guard and 3cm lift will be fine at the front, rear will need upgraded springs to compensate for load.

4. Tyres - descent M+S in 145/80 R13 would be enough,

5. Pandas will overheat badly as the engine will have constant 100% load therefore not suitable for such an adventure. Look around for more suitable car- Lada Niva would be a killer and spares are widely available in any village East form Warsaw.

6. Manuals can by found on ebay for few £.

I thing Ulaanbaatar is in Mongolia, not Russia. Get Your visas sorted first.

Good luck

Hi and Welcome

1. Have you heard of Mongolia Charity Rally? Mongol Rally is made for huge profit (over £150k each year) not giving you any support on the way other than 'boozze' nights in Pragha or Budapest. Mongolia Charity Rally is 100% charity as the original rally in late '90.

2. You're asking way to much at once, all those info are here in other Mongol rally threads - just use search.

3. Suspension - did you meant 2-3cm not 20-30cm as that would be laugh. Sump guard and 3cm lift will be fine at the front, rear will need upgraded springs to compensate for load.

4. Tyres - descent M+S in 145/80 R13 would be enough,

5. Pandas will overheat badly as the engine will have constant 100% load therefore not suitable for such an adventure. Look around for more suitable car- Lada Niva would be a killer and spares are widely available in any village East form Warsaw.

6. Manuals can by found on ebay for few £.

I thing Ulaanbaatar is in Mongolia, not Russia. Get Your visas sorted first.

Good luck

There are even less Niva's in the UK left than Pandas. Unless you plan on bringing it back use/waste a car like an Almera. Lift a couple of cms and chuck on a sump guard

There are even less Niva's in the UK left than Pandas. Unless you plan on bringing it back use/waste a car like an Almera. Lift a couple of cms and chuck on a sump guard

I don't know where the car will be sourced NZ or UK.

Do apologised, should say Dacia Duster or even Dacia Logan to keep the cost down. You can trash Logan as proper 4x4, was design for Eastern markets so have some build in rigidity and simplicity keeping great comfort and cabin space.

Last edited:
Mongol Rally team does not tell the whole true to the participants, and they simply leave them to sort out the custom charge / car import duty. Mongolians authorities don't want junk car to be imported therefore they introduced 10 year running scheme. Any car imported in which is older that 10y will be subjected to sky high charge $$$$, if the car will be abandoned and found they will not let you fly off unless you're quick or stupid or rich enough.

Last edited:
Back