General Panda Gearbox

Currently reading:
General Panda Gearbox

Further to the ball joint dust covers - I finally found a link I saw some time ago:

http://www.preloved.com/forums/message.cfm?thread=2548&message=12462

Don't know if it will work, but must be worth an Email :D

I've never had a reply from them. I tried emailing them again, along with a snail mail letter too. No reply yet, as of three weeks since!

Steve the geriatric Panda owner and beagle fanatic ...

beaglerunc.gif

Thanks for keeping up with it - I'd forgotten :I

A couple of months time the CL is due its MOT again: Boot wise it's passed before like it is, but I'm concerned about the cills getting a bit fragile on the passenger side :(
We'll just have to see, I suppose.
At least the guy who tests it does a straight test, and will make efforts to get a pass, if possible...

Interstingly it has doors with no rust (but lots of car-park "dings") in Azuro Nautico, or sea blue.

<blockquote id="quote"> face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by John H
A couple of months time the CL is due its MOT again<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
And mine is due by the middle of next month, but I take it in early, in case there's something wrong, and get a 12.5 month MOT [8D]

<blockquote id="quote"> face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Interstingly it has doors with no rust (but lots of car-park "dings") in Azuro Nautico, or sea blue.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
No rust? W[:0]W! Have they been treated in the past?

Paul

I don't know why the doors are OK on the blue one - I've seen plenty the same colour rusted out.
They'd had no treatment when we bought it a couple of years ago.

Perhaps the paint happened to go in the right places.:D

Regarding the long MOT - yes I do that too.
This one was originally due december time, but we decided to do it early so it could be done in the summer hols - when we knew it would be at home, and have time to sort it out without it being in the wrong part of the country, and warmer weather too.
I hate working on cars outside in the winter [:(!]

<blockquote id="quote"> face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by John H
This one was originally due december time, but we decided to do it early so it could be done in the summer hols - when we knew it would be at home, and have time to sort it out without it being in the wrong part of the country, and warmer weather too.
I hate working on cars outside in the winter [:(!]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Know exactly what you mean. Mine's due when I get back from Cornwall and I'm at home for the summer [8D] Then my Dad can help me! ;)

Also works out better on the wallet. Tax in January, MOT in July. Problem is insurance in March! [xx(]

Paul

Why not pay by instalments? I know it costs a little more (with the AA) but it means you can spread the cost.

The ONLY thing I don't pay in instalments is the Road Tax. It's about time they introduced it now we have continuous licensing!

Steve the geriatric, NOS guzzling Panda owner and beagle fanatic ...

beaglerunc.gif

<blockquote id="quote"> face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by steveyensen
Why not pay by instalments? I know it costs a little more (with the AA) but it means you can spread the cost<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It's a good idea Steve, but I have this fear that one day, if the payment was delayed, and I had a bump, I wouldn't be covered. It's only once a year though thankfully :)

Paul

That won't happen with the AA - they always let you know first and give you a chance to make up the arrears. The same if a bank doesn't allow a direct debit to go through ...

beaglerunc.gif

<blockquote id="quote"> face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by steveyensen
That won't happen with the AA - they always let you know first and give you a chance to make up the arrears. The same if a bank doesn't allow a direct debit to go through ...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I didn't know that B)

But I'm still sceptical, so pay my insurance with a cheque each March.

Anyway, enough of my rambling, how's your Panda coming along?

Paul

Okay, you asked. A new neighbour has offered to lend me his garage so I can get things sorted. Penny's car can go in there for a short time while the Panda will go in ours, which is the only one with power.

Unfortunately I cannot leave the Panda outside in a partly dismantled state overnight as our local low-life will probably complete the job. Nothing worth nicking but they just do it for kicks anyway :(

I'd freed off the calipers a while ago - they've been soaking in a tub of brake fluid for God knows how long. I'll need to pop the pistons out and try to polish them if they're still fit for further use. Same with the caliper bodies. The seals seem to be intact so I'll probably be able to re-use them.

I never did get my friendly neighbour to skim the discs. He's moved on now unfortunately. I'm going to try to sand them down first. If they are the slightest bit pitted then I'll get them skimmed or more than likely replace them. I do need to get the brakes working well enough for an MOT.

Now the bodywork. There are two areas of concern. One is the offside rear wheel arch and the other is the nearside door. Possible jagged edges! I'll try to borrow Penny's digicam and post some pics and see what you think!

Last, the electrics, particularly the lights. They've never been brilliant (sorry) but now there are several areas not working. I'm a qualified electronic engineer (although I write software these days) so it should be okay but I'll be prepared for a few surprises! They worked okay before the car was laid up so I suspect corrosion on the terminals.

The engine did run before I replaced the gearbox and I was getting power to the wheels, but I did remove the battery which has not yet been put back in the car as the clock takes quite a high current.

Lots of jobs to do - the ones that won't cost me anything will be done quickly enough but unfortunately those that will require cash will take longer. I've been told we're having another 10-day stint in the motorhome (10th July) so I'll need any spare cash for that. Damn.

beaglerunc.gif

Thank-you for the update Steve :)

Best of luck, and please do post those piccies of the rust.

Paul

Good grief, Steve!

If I'd known it was as bad as that I'd not have teased you so much to fix it.

Do you think Richie might have been right, after all [:0]

Back