General Panda Fuel Pump

Currently reading:
General Panda Fuel Pump

My 1993 Panda 1000 CLX seems to have a bit of a problem with the fuel pump. Most days it starts first time and runs well, but other days it won't start until I lift the back seat and fiddle with the wires connected to the fuel pump under the back seat.

Today it started first time this morning but wouldn't start this evening. I fiddled with the wires as usual but no joy. I checked all the usual stuff, spark, distributor, etc and all seems fine. No fuel was getting through though. I lifted the back seat, disconnected the fuel pump wires and cleaned the contacts and it started after 6 attempts.

I can't work out if the pump has an intermittent fault or if it's just a wiring problem. Any ideas or advice appreciated as I don't fancy splashing out on a new pump so close to Christmas. :)

I believe the pump is very expensive, so it might ne worth trying the following:
route some cables from the supply and earth that the pump has, and have a small bulb inside the car where you can see it.
That way you can see what's happening power wise without moving the back seat, and that plastic bung.

I understand that the pump has a brief application of power when the ignition is switched on, then no more until the engine is actually turning over:
this under ECU control via either 1 or 2 relays on the drivers side front suspension turret, or thereabouts.
There are 2 versions of wiring/ECU depending on when during '93 your car was built - distributor, or twin coil?

The relays are a known source of problems, but so too are high mileage/use pumps.

Regards

John H

I now, that you can get the pump here in Denmark for aprox 130£!?

but offcouse, it´s exspensive if it´s a old car. But i have the "disease" and for me, it dosent matter the price, to keep my 3 Panda´s rolling.

pandaman71 said:
I now, that you can get the pump here in Denmark for aprox 130£!?

Part "6" in this pic:

fuel-pump.jpg

comes up about 151UKP in a 2 year old parts CD.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try your suggestion with the bulb John. I'm pretty sure it's a fault with the wire rather than a dodgy pump. I paid so little for the car that I was really expecting something to crop up, and the guy I bought it from did say there was a problem with the fuel pump, so I knew it was coming.

Well, I spent most of the day at the Panda. I stripped the back seats and mat so I could get at the pump. I cleaned all the contacts and rewired it and so far so good.

I also wirebrushed the underneath and undersealed it. There were a few patches of rust under the back seat where the drainage holes are, so I sanded those and used Kurust before painting it up. Fingers crossed that the pump problem is solved.

AHHHH!! fuel pp-pump? From my experiences fuel pumps don't work intermittently, they just die at around 110k/miles.. Mine broke on the ferry to france, had to get a new one fitted in France at a cost of €.170, they ordered it direct from germany. Tears and frustration were caused by it, I'm frightened of those things now!

Back