Technical panda 169 1.3mulitjet loss of power

Currently reading:
Technical panda 169 1.3mulitjet loss of power

Koos Krokodil

Bonsoir dear community of Fiat lovers. I have been the proud owner of a 2010 169 4x4 1.3 Multijet.

Splendid car, but always noted that during idle the rpm seems to dip.

FFW to yesterday when my car started but have no power whatsoever, no waring lights on the panel nothing. Few things I have done since, removed and cleaned the MAS, the MAP, and checked that the waste gate works on the turbo, no issues there.

I started it up after the cleaning, doesn't rev past 3000rpm. After it sat a few minutes idling, I was suddenly able to rev it through to 5000rpm, lots of black smoke, so much so the soot tarnished the soil. After a few more minutes of idle, same thing doesn't rev past 3000rpm.

I haven't got a fault code reader, which one does you guys recommend ? Does this issue sound familiar to some?

I don't hope that its the dreaded EGR valve , because then I need to employ child labour to access the cramped spaces on the engine, and currently child labour is illegal in France:)

Thanking everyone in advance for their recommendations or suggestions

Under the turbo there is a pipe that regularly gets blocked

Worth taking off and inspecting as it costs nothing and causes lack of power and/or revs

Unbolt the metal air pipe into the inlet manifold. It's a bit fiddly but do-able. Use a flash-light and mirror to look into the inlet manifold itself. This is what mine looked like. That dryer lump of carbon is the EGR outlet to the manifold.

5d1db758-906e-4cee-9f62-e0fbac329d82-jpeg.416059

If its approaching 100,000 miles be sure to change the timing chain. It's a weak link that will fail as the side links fatigue fracture. Also pop out the injectors and fit new sealing washers (measure each for thickness). Leave them to leak (even very slightly) and you'll have a world of misery removing them.

Did you find the cause of the problem and has it been fixed as I’m experiencing the same issue?

Any error lights

90% of problems are

MAF
EGR
Vacuum leak
Actuator stuck
Blocked or holed pipe under the turbo

Seeing as the last two are very common, free and reasonable quick to check this is where I would start

Then it a scanner and read the live data

Back