Paint Fade

Currently reading:
Paint Fade

Barakka

My wife has a 53 Reg Punto Sporting in Yellow and i've noticed the plastics are fading to a paler yellow (both bumpers, rear spoiler, and petrol cap). I keep the paintwork in fairly good condition regularly cleaned, waxed and sealed with Autoglym products but it seems to have made no difference.

What can be done, is there any way to restore it ? Possible/Resonable cost to respray to match again ?

Yeah polishes like that and then the machine to do it aswell. Machine polishing basically removes all swirls and can bring back paint colouration aswell. Its the cheapest way to try and get the colour back before you start respraying bits.

It sounds like the plastic is fading at a different rate to the metal panels, very common. You'll be ok if the paint is solid and does not have clearcoat over the top. If it does you're stuffed and will only be able to sort by respraying. If solid something like t-cut will do the job as it's fairly agressive.

It sounds like the plastic is fading at a different rate to the metal panels, very common. You'll be ok if the paint is solid and does not have clearcoat over the top. If it does you're stuffed and will only be able to sort by respraying. If solid something like t-cut will do the job as it's fairly agressive.

Damn, i'm pretty sure there's a clear coat over it as I get no paint colour come off when I wax it :(

I was looking at getting a rotary polisher anyway so I might give it a go to see if I can improve it at all.

If not how much do think i'd be looking at for a respray of both bumpers, rear spoiler, and the fuel cap on a Mk2 Punto ? and I believe Yellow is a hard colour to match ?

£150-200 per bumper, £100 for the spoiler and not much for the petrol cap and yup yellow is a bloody hard colour to match.

Cool, thanks for the replies, I know someone local that might do a cash price and I know how much to bargain for now :O)

Paint to do that will cost about £40. So it's just time and a few sundries after that really. I've been spraying up my GTV side skirts and spent most of the time trying prepping them, filling, sanding, filling sanding, filling sanding it's a bore! If there are not major problems with them, not requiring repair then it shouldn't be too expensive but you get what you pay for. Someone keyed my sisters car, and my brother-in-law got a cash job done, cost £200 and it was excellent, couldn't tell at all, one of the best repairs I've seen. Perfect paint match, flawless finish and that was with a metallic silver. Had the whole side done. If you're paying a bodyshop normal money then Punto Matt is right on the the money estimate, couple of hundred for the bumper, probably a hundred for spoiler and filler cap, so about £300 I reckon.

I dont think you would get both bumpers done, spoiler and petrol cap for £300.

In your earlier post you said £150 - £200 for bumper, £100 for spoiler and very little for the filler cap. Those are the right sorts of figures so about £300. Filler cap is a 2 minute job if the paint is already mixed. Spoiler probably just needs masking, keying and painting. Bumper might need a bit more work.

Back