Technical P0555 Error Code?

Currently reading:
Technical P0555 Error Code?

Roger465

Hi folks - I'm trying to help a young couple with not too much money. Bit out of my depth with FIATs (increasingly with everything as I get older, but...) Their 500L has been pretty good in the couple of years they've had it, but recently a yellow triangle warning came on on the main display. They reckoned they maybe had to press the brake pedal a bit harder than previously too.

I have a little cheap OBD scanner, which came up with Code P0555. Dr Google suggests this is some kind of sensor to do with the brake servo, which seems to make sense with the harder braking, maybe.
Knowing that such things can often be connector issues rather than actual sensor faults (on my old Rover, anyway!), I tried to identify the servo, in the hope that I could maybe disconnect a plug and spray contact cleaner into it, but neither Google nor my ageing eyes have helped much.

Any suggestions please?

There is a bit online which suggest the brake pressure sensor can develop a leak giving that error code.
Basically if the pedal is harder than it used to be and doesn't stop the car as quick, it often points to a lack of vacuum at the servo, so well worth checking that side of the system for anything obvious .

There is a bit online which suggest the brake pressure sensor can develop a leak giving that error code.
Basically if the pedal is harder than it used to be and doesn't stop the car as quick, it often points to a lack of vacuum at the servo, so well worth checking that side of the system for anything obvious .
Thanks... ummm this is a bit embarrassing, but having had a poke around under the hood, I haven't been able to recognise the servo. My knowledge is seriously out of date, and things have changed :confused:

Don't suppose you could point me to it?

Thanks... ummm this is a bit embarrassing, but having had a poke around under the hood, I haven't been able to recognise the servo. My knowledge is seriously out of date, and things have changed :confused:

Don't suppose you could point me to it?
Hi :)

The 5 door 500l model
4 +hatch car is a relatively scarce thing.. so unlikely to get an owner offering a photo

One Question.. is this a Diesel ?

Diesels employ a VacPump.. (as manifold Vac lines like a petrol would not work the same).. quite possible a perished hose..or damaged clip : union

Hi :)

The 5 door 500l model
4 +hatch car is a relatively scarce thing.. so unlikely to get an owner offering a photo

One Question.. is this a Diesel ?

Diesels employ a VacPump.. (as manifold Vac lines like a petrol would not work the same).. quite possible a perished hose..or damaged clip : union
Thanks... yes, it's a tractor. Sorry, diesel...

That's really obvious now you say it - though I was sure my old Rover diesel had a fairly conventional servo. There again, the brain sees what it expects :mad:

I did promise to publish the answer, but getting the owners to actually take action has proved frustrating :mad:

It's due its MOT at the end of the month, and won't pass with the engine light on - maybe they'll do something about it then :rolleyes:

Back