Technical P0096 Check Engine... 1.3 Multijet engine

Currently reading:
Technical P0096 Check Engine... 1.3 Multijet engine

AMMJ

Hi, Had my Tipo a while now and it's basically been alright. Very economical thankfully in today's environment. However recently the check engine EML (Engine Management Light) came on when I started it after it had sat for a while on the driveway. I checked it with my multiecuscan software equipped laptop. Came up with the code & description P0096 Air Temperature Sensor Signal (Inside Superch. Sensor) Mmm... Took the option to clear the fault and success, EML switched off, gone...great! But it reappeared again 2 weeks later (same circumstances, sitting on the same driveway for a day or two) I naively thought it might be the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensors but after trial and error and a little heartache, I realised disconnecting the MAF produced completely different fault codes. I've cleared the P0096 fault again, for the moment. There are a number of apparent sensors dotted around the air intake / manifold area and I really wanted to avoid trying to disconnect them one by one to try and replicate the fault code... Anyone seen this P0096 code? or has anyone a definite idea of the location of this sensor? Also after the fault was cleared, if this was where the fault lay, Multiecuscan read the temperature of turbocharger normally when running, and the car drove fine, no apparent difference with the EML tripped. Checked the solidity of the connectors to these sensors and I hope disturbing them slightly may now have cured any poor electrical contact... and that may be that... But things are rarely that simple and I suspect it will return again.Wonder if anyone had experienced anything similar with any 1.3 Multijet 2 engine Fiat. Thanks for reading!

Hi

Random errors often occur due to a dip in voltage..

A slightly low battery
Cranking the starter robs too much of the 'available power'

How do you start it?

Clutch up or down ( gearbox drag)

Instant turn of the key.. (or waiting for fuel pump and dash check)?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Usually start with clutch in and normally wait for dash check to complete. It's possibly, possibly battery related although battery is less than a year old and stop start usually always works. On the other hand, car isn't driven every day and sometimes sits for a few days... I'll monitor it for the moment but it's same code that appears...this P0096. Wish there was an easier / quicker way to clear fault codes than having to drag my laptop out to the car... My general experience however is these intermittent things deteriorate...but not always! My remote key fob for about 8 months intermittently wouldn't lock the car but after that period it now works every time (touch wood) I have no answer for that one...

Hello to all, but where is the sensor located? Any picture or drawing? Thanks .

Hi there. The short answer is I don't know! The fault I was experiencing with the check engine light (code P0096), hasn't reoccurred for a while and although it's too soon to tell if it's really ok now, well here's hoping... I found I could clear the fault code anyway, when it was recurring using the "Torque Pro" app on my phone via a Bluetooth connector / sender plugged into the OBD-11 port under the dashboard. I did find a you tube video of a mechanic fixing what was claimed to be an equivalent Renault fault code to P0096 on a Trafic van by replacing the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor. This made me wonder if the MAP sensor also contained the intake air temperature 2 sensor. The MAP sensor is right behind the centre of the engine head at the bulkhead on my TIpo 1.3 multijet. I couldn't verify if that was the cause, because I couldn't get the electrical connector off the sensor, it just wouldn't release ( it's hard to see at the back of the engine and there isn't much access space, ) so on balance I considered it not worth the risk of forcing it (it may not even be that anyway).. I don't know if that helps!

Thanks for the reply, i managed to find the sensor, it's at the back of the air filter box, a litlle to the left and down, as said in a previous answer. You can work with both your hands as i did. Remember you have to Pull backwards the yellow tab in order to press the lever that holds the conector in place, then with a Torx screwdriver n°20, remove the screw and twist and Turn the sensor to remove. In the vídeo i inserted the phone from the right handside of the filter box. On the photos you can see the older and the new sensor. I attach a photo of a compatible sensor from another brand, one might prefer to use a a Bosch one, but the shop only had this brand at the moment. I think that cleanning will take the sensor good again, and i will keep it and use it next i have that fault.
Hope to have helped. The job took me 15 minutes to do.
Cheers.

Attachments

• VID_20230306_174233.mp4
    76.5 MB
  • IMG_20230307_160216.jpg
    IMG_20230307_160216.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20230307_155646.jpg
    IMG_20230307_155646.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 143
Batunas, thank you for posting this and describing the procedure for removing the connector. I had a chance to look at that map sensor on my car again and well seems to be at back of intake manifold? These engines are quite complex and have a lot more fitments than I have been used to in the past in terms of conventional petrol engines.... However I attach a couple of photos of position, with engine cover removed. As I mentioned although the check engine light appeared with the code p0096 about once a week for a period of about a year, it hasn't occurred for some weeks now...I don't know why... The only thing I might ask, as not being absolutely sure if this sensor was the the cause of the fault code, in your case did fitting the new map sensor cure the P0096 fault? Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_20230311_142231.jpg
    IMG_20230311_142231.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 134
  • IMG_20230311_142344.jpg
    IMG_20230311_142344.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 154
Batunas, thank you for posting this and describing the procedure for removing the connector. I had a chance to look at that map sensor on my car again and well seems to be at back of intake manifold? These engines are quite complex and have a lot more fitments than I have been used to in the past in terms of conventional petrol engines.... However I attach a couple of photos of position, with engine cover removed. As I mentioned although the check engine light appeared with the code p0096 about once a week for a period of about a year, it hasn't occurred for some weeks now...I don't know why... The only thing I might ask, as not being absolutely sure if this sensor was the the cause of the fault code, in your case did fitting the new map sensor cure the P0096 fault? Thanks again
Hello, first i have to apollogise for a mistake, i wrote air filter box but its really in the intake manifold.
The error appeared during warm weather, as its been cold here in Portugal the error appeared only when i drove during daytime/afternoon and in higher revs ( motorway). ( I work shifts!)
Since i changed the sensor, the error did not appear and i feel the car response much smoother and tidy.
Before looking at the sensor i considered that it might be a clogged air filter, changed it for a new one and erased the error . 2 days later the error appeared again.
So far everything is going fine.
Thanks.

Batunas, thanks for reply. Often on these forums, people get their cars fixed and never say what the diagnosis or cause was but that is great. I shall monitor my situation with this fault code but hopefully it is just simply gone - for good. Perhaps though, maybe it is temperature dependent, as you suggested - it has been generally cold here in central Scotland for a while (with still light snow this morning!) I won't know for sure until those first warm days appear ... Take care and good luck with the Tipo!

Back