Technical P0054-00 error code

Currently reading:
Technical P0054-00 error code

nico77

My Fiat 500x 1.4 Multiair Manual has a P0054-00 error code fairly regularly. The engine warning light is sometimes on with the fault but not always.

It think this means HO2S Heater Resistance Bank 1 Sensor 2 is reading incorrectly and that probably means a new sensor assuming the wiring is ok.

These are what I think are the relevant readings in my Multiecuscan (4.6R1).

Lambda 1 signal (After-Cat.) This ranges between 0v and 1.3v
Lambda sensor 1 integrator This ranges around the 1 mark plus or minus a small amount
Lambda sensor 2 integrator This is nearly always exactly 1 except when it occasionally reads just below 1
Lambda 1 status (Pre-Cat.) This is nearly always closed loop
Lambda 1 status (After-Cat.) This is nearly always open loop
Lambda 1 diagnosis (Pre-Cat.) This varies between 'Rich' and 'Lean'
Lambda 1 diagnosis (After-Cat.) This varies between 'Rich' and 'Lean'

My questions are:

Is it normal for the post cat sensor to be open loop nearly all the time I'm driving? It goes closed loop at higher revs sometimes and then Lambda sensor 2 integrator reads something other than 1.

Do the readings for the Lambda 1 signal (After-Cat.), Lambda sensor 2 integrator, Lambda 1 status (After-Cat.) and Lambda 1 diagnosis (After-Cat.) have any relevance to the P0054 error?

Sorry for the length of this. Looking forward to any comments. I hope this isn't a case of a little knowledge is a dangerous thing on my part. TIA.

334 - 500X 1.4 Turbo MultiAir Downstream lambda sensor resistance (Signal compare failure) P0054-00

Oxygen sensor connections : Check for loose connections on the oxygen sensor and the Powertrain Control Module

Oxygen sensor wiring : Check the continuity of the oxygen sensor wiring

Oxygen sensor wiring : Check the correct insulation of the oxygen sensor wiring (short circuit between conductors)

Oxygen sensor preheating resistance : Check the correct operation of the oxygen sensor preheating resistance. The nominal resistance value at 20°C is 3 ohm (in the event of values higher than 40 ohm replace the upstream sensor)

Back