Technical Overheating

Currently reading:
Technical Overheating

djdan00

I have a Bravo 1.9 150 Diesel and I noticed a week ago the fan was on which has never happened before. Driving on the motorway the other day I saw the water temp needle creeping up and then hit the red. Turned off engine for a bit and was OK again.
It only seems to overheat when going fast, in town it seems OK. Heater isnt really working either. It stays in the middle for a 45min drive to work through town.

I'm guessing thermostat might be sticky or waterpump is not working well. How easy is it or should I just give up and take it in. Likewise is waterpump an easy replacment.
Thanks"

First check basic stuff like:
- how is coolant level?
- air in the system?
- leafs in the radiator, a good pressure wash
- thermostat
- thermocouple

Not sure about the 1.9, but the water pump is usually driven by the cam belt. so if they are going to do that you might as well do the cam-belt+tensioner+water pump.

I have a Bravo 1.9 150 Diesel and I noticed a week ago the fan was on which has never happened before. Driving on the motorway the other day I saw the water temp needle creeping up and then hit the red. Turned off engine for a bit and was OK again.
It only seems to overheat when going fast, in town it seems OK. Heater isnt really working either. It stays in the middle for a 45min drive to work through town.

I'm guessing thermostat might be sticky or waterpump is not working well. How easy is it or should I just give up and take it in. Likewise is waterpump an easy replacment.
Thanks"

If you have to ask these kinds of questions, the first thing you should do is stop driving your car and book it for a cheackup at a good garage.

What kind of answer were you expecting to get from an internet forum? an overheating engine is a serious problem, especially if it's a diesel!

Back