Technical Overheating suddenly

Currently reading:
Technical Overheating suddenly

Evening,
after a few days of rain I descided to take the chance today and go for a leisurely drive in the sunshine... As I was driving along I felt the B a bit unresponcive on the gad pedal and when I looked down I noticed the injector looking light come on and the temp reaching red. I pulled over lifted the bonnet and true enough radiator fluid everywhere and none in the bottle. I hiked to the nearest petrol station got some more fluid and went back filled it and drove off. The car kept overheating which meant stoppping and letting it cool down and starting again before I could reach the garage that looks after it. The radiator fan works. What I am wondering is it is a fualty heater matrix or something simpler like a faulty water pump...
any ideas?

Thanks,
H.

Could be a stuck thermostat, I guess if the car was topped up with fluid and you start the car up from cold with a pipe disconnected from the top of the radiator, if there is flow, the water pump is probably ok, if nothing comes out, water pump gone..

I think the sensor is located in the block water passages so it activates the fan based on the temperature of the water actually in the block rather than on the radiator side of the cooling system - it is in the same place as the temperature gauge sensor which does pick up the block water temp rather than the rad side

thanks for you replies!!!

The car is left at the local FIAT garage and I awaiting a phone call from them.. I will keep you updated!

:(:(:(

I jsut got news from FIAT, I need a new thermo and a new radiator... now the question is shall i get the FIAT original or look for something aftermarket? :confused::confused:

I dont know about prices abroad but when I looked for a new thermostat, the aftermarket ones were not that much cheaper that the Fiat ones, for me it was who could supply quickest, and that wasnt fiat!

As for the radiator, ask them what is wrong with the old one, is it full of holes, is it blocked etc, filling with a water / caustic soda solution for a few hours then flushing with a hose pipe (water in either direction) for a few hours can often do wonders - although there should be minimal sludge in the system if the coolant concentration is maintained and the fluid changed every once in a while...

Ebay thermostat link: Click me £43

5f80_1.JPG

Radiator link Click me £150 but shop around as this was the first one I found online.

12FT316_10.jpg

FYI fitting these parts is real easy and can be done with basic tools.

Hope this helps
(y)
Doc Orange Peel

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back