OSX Lion

Samsung N130 Netbook
Intel Atom 1.6ghz N230
2GB DDR 2 5300 speed
160GB Seagate HDD (SATA 2)
Intel GMA graphics
Internal Wifi
Windows 7 Sp1 Starter (Genuine)

I'm not being funny but they're far from reliable. One of my customers has a Small Business Server 2011 on a domain with 10 Windows 7 pc's and various networked printers.

7 out of 10 of the support calls he's made are about the MAC or the MAC book pro. The next time I have to reset the printing system and re-install the printers because it refuses to print I'm going to set fire to it.

7 out of 10 of the support calls he's made are about the MAC or the MAC book pro. The next time I have to reset the printing system and re-install the printers because it refuses to print I'm going to set fire to it.

I won't be mourning if you do. ;)

But I wonder if it's a heterogenous network issue? Modern Macs are designed to use CUPS, which is a pretty robust printing system but works fundamentally differently to Windows printers. (Indeed, the grand imperialists at Apple have now pretty much taken over development of CUPS, to the extent that they seem to be claiming it as their own, although it remains open source.) The main difference seems to be that CUPS formats at a different stage to Windows.

Ideally, I think, you'd set up IP printing using CUPS and leave SBS to do everything else. Might be a nice little earner!

Yes it's setup to print direct over IP having nothing to do with Windows. I even tried it using the shared printer from the server but with similar results. OSX even has the driver for it built in! yet it still fails. I tried the one from the Canon website too to no avail.

Even the Apple "Geniuses" couldn't get any further than I managed.

All he does with his Mac on the network is browse the shares on the SBS Server and keeps his important files there so they're backed up.

Maybe he has to pay Apple for an update disk to fix it? :idea: :rolleyes:

Back