General Original Panels

Currently reading:
General Original Panels

Hello FiatForum,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how you can tell the difference between an original Classic Fiat 500 (L model) front panel and a new reproduction front panel. Are there any distinct features that set the two apart?

Thank You!

Hello FiatForum,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how you can tell the difference between an original Classic Fiat 500 (L model) front panel and a new reproduction front panel. Are there any distinct features that set the two apart?

Thank You!

If it's an original panel, as originally presented, it will likely be painted in a pink primer. There should be a blue stamped FIAT logo and part number somewhere. It is obviously possible that a panel has lost that coating. If it's black with a sheen to it, then it's probably repro. An original front panel is probably more likely to have a series of punched holes in the top for fitment of the rubber tapers which fix on the rain-seal.

If it's an "L" panel it should have the vertical oblong indent for the badge and welded-in nuts in the bottom corners for the overrider bumpers.

If someone knows they have an original panel, the price might be an indicator. I would expect it to be at least double that of a repro panel, but really, some people may ask what seems like silly money.

If it's an original panel, as originally presented, it will likely be painted in a pink primer. There should be a blue stamped FIAT logo and part number somewhere. It is obviously possible that a panel has lost that coating. If it's black with a sheen to it, then it's probably repro. An original front panel is probably more likely to have a series of punched holes in the top for fitment of the rubber tapers which fix on the rain-seal.

If it's an "L" panel it should have the vertical oblong indent for the badge and welded-in nuts in the bottom corners for the overrider bumpers.

If someone knows they have an original panel, the price might be an indicator. I would expect it to be at least double that of a repro panel, but really, some people may ask what seems like silly money.
Thank you very much for the information, any idea where the part number could be?

I do find it really odd that it is so hard to tell an original and a reproduction front panel apart, It is good in a way but It would be great if there was an obvious way to tell a Fiat part from a Rhibo remanufactured panel

I do find it really odd that it is so hard to tell an original and a reproduction front panel apart, It is good in a way but It would be great if there was an obvious way to tell a Fiat part from a Rhibo remanufactured panel

If we're talking about already fitted panels, I think it would be challenging to know. Any sign of that black primer, which may be under the paint internally, would be a reasonab;le giveaway. The FIAT stamp and the part number are together and could be faded, worn off and have originally been almost anywhere.

The fact that it is so hard to tell them apart must surely be a good thing?

The image shows some original panels for my Fiat van on which you can see the correct primer colour and the couple of panels with blue stamped part number and FIAT logo.

COR_9976.JPG

If we're talking about already fitted panels, I think it would be challenging to know. Any sign of that black primer, which may be under the paint internally, would be a reasonab;le giveaway. The FIAT stamp and the part number are together and could be faded, worn off and have originally been almost anywhere.

The fact that it is so hard to tell them apart must surely be a good thing?

The image shows some original panels for my Fiat van on which you can see the correct primer colour and the couple of panels with blue stamped part number and FIAT logo.

View attachment 401138
I think that you will find that the front panel with the round 'badge indent' is part number:---4128847 and the front panel with the oblong 'badge indent' (for the 'L') is part number:--4199533. Both are called, in Italian----"rivestimento ant. comp" ("panel" in English!)

I think that you will find that the front panel with the round 'badge indent' is part number:---4128847 and the front panel with the oblong 'badge indent' (for the 'L') is part number:--4199533. Both are called, in Italian----"rivestimento ant. comp" ("panel" in English!)
.......there you are @500500 .....that last number, which Tom has quoted above, is the one you will (should) find printed in blue on an original "L" panel.

another tell tale point is the actual quality...
I do not have many NOS panels but taking the rear support panel as a good example...
NOS painted pink with a Fiat sticker , repro black with Rhibo sticker.... (however there was another company who made panels in Italy and they used as ligh pink/cream colour and these were much better quality, however they were taken over by Rhibo)
looking carefully it is possible to see the NOS panel is more crisp where there are folds or returns on folds.. the repro are puckered. also it is like the repros were not trimmed accurately....
One reason for such things may be teh fact that steel press tools were originally used at much greater pressure as repro panels tend to be made using Aluminum tooling which cannot be used at such great pressures (I looked into the actual process for making panels - very interesting machines involved these days compared to previously)..
another difference is the NOS panels are slightly heavier, again probably due to different grade of steel being used...

Personally, I'm grateful that sensibly priced reasonable quality panels are available. The repro items can be made to fit well enough to be perfectly passable as without them most 500's would be in the bin by now.

Back