Styling One last photo of my FIAT 500

Currently reading:
Styling One last photo of my FIAT 500

On the last day with my 500, I couldn't resist snapping this photo alongside its arch-rival, the Nissan March Jap import...

The whole time I've had my 500, from day 1 to the final day, people have mistaken it for a March (Japanese domestic name for the Micra) - I've always pointed out that it has fewer doors, but that never seems to wash... so here is the photo to prove how they look exactly the same (or not :rolleyes:)

I saw one other 500 in the town I live in, back in September. Most people here aren't even aware there is a new 500 - when I said I had one, the usual reaction is "oh, a Bambina?" and I have to explain that it's not from the 1960s.

In NZ it's possible to pick up three Marches for about the price of one 500 - I wonder if a March ever gets mistaken for a FIAT 500? :p

-Alex

Attachments

• IMG_6904small.JPG
    IMG_6904small.JPG
    339 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
One of the cars pictured has style and cuteness whilst maintaining the necessary requirements of space and drivability. The other one is a Nissan.

I note the micra owner has folded the mirrors in case some one damages them in that massive car park space :)

Just noticed. Well, s/he surely did this on his own, I don't think that the micra has an automated folding mirrors feature.

Mom was a fun of the old micras. She had owned three of them. When the new one released she said it looks like frog, I'm not gonna buy it. :p She has a Citroen C2 now, but after seeing my 500 she seriously thinking of buying one for herself.

Where I live the Micra is really an old people's snail-around or for cheap motoring as there always seems to be deals on them and similarly very plain looking people seem to drive them, so I guess it's just A2B motoring for them, nothing more. I've seen a few attempting a stripe, which looks like they're trying to get 'down with the kids' so maybe they're become a first car choice possibly offsetting young driver insurance premiums now.

I think a frog is an attractive design, the bulbous lights on a Micra not - they bring to mind HRH Prince Charles' comments protesting about carbuncles in architecture design and to me the equally delightful word pustule can also be applied, as the Micra has both on its lights.

We overtook a pale grey-blue Micra with a white-haired little couple driving at 25 in a 40 dual carriageway situation (clear roads) recently, and I had a look at the drivers, yes they were a tiny old couple, the lady actually in matching powder blue coat even - which matched my perception of the Micra here in the UK perfectly!

If the 500 is but two in your area, and the Micra three for one 500's cost, everyone will have the Micra as their small car reference point I'm guessing. It seems that most around you aren't that into cars or note them much other than being a necessity. Not likely then to give a jot then that the 500 is the embodiment of what you can do with a small car design and safety features which made it Car of the Year 2008.

It does occur to me that maybe a Micra better suits the local motoring conditions which is also why it could also be popular - are you going for a test drive to find out ?

I'm sorry yours "had to go" and your soundproofing project didn't amount to much & you became disenchanted with your 500 etc etc, but that's only because I love my 500 and will never let her go, because I actually drive my dream car, you're not quite there yet.

Can't recall if you've decided yet what the successor to your 500 will be, but happy motoring none-the-less, and hope your next choice will suit you better.

I've had a micra as a rental a couple of times. They are a car and no more than that. It is a very disconcerting car to drive on gravel, I was doing 10mph in Finland on a gravel road around a corner and the thing felt like it was going to fall off the road

I bet on the Nissan micra forum they all say the same about fiats

I've had a micra as a rental a couple of times. They are a car and no more than that. It is a very disconcerting car to drive on gravel, I was doing 10mph in Finland on a gravel road around a corner and the thing felt like it was going to fall off the road

They make bloody awsome field cars! Can't beat a 2003-2011 Shape Micra. Great cars imho.

A lot of people on here are sure that the Fiat 500 is the best car ever made...
Get real it's a cheaply made Polish city car with terrible dealers.

I love my 500 but lets not get silly slagging off everything thats not a 500.

I was given the Micra a lot in Ireland as a hire car and in the end I just refused to have them as I could not find a good driving position and would always end up with back ache.

I think they have taken the place of the Austin 1100, and Metro as being the car you are most likely to be stuck behind when driven by someone that should have surrendered their licence and wears a hat when driving (also with the string back gloves)

A lot of people on here are sure that the Fiat 500 is the best car ever made...
Get real it's a cheaply made Polish city car with terrible dealers.

I love my 500 but lets not get silly slagging off everything thats not a 500.

I wasn't slagging it off. I am a car person as opposed to just a 500 person, but the Micra did nothing for me at all and this was before I got a 500

Back