Old T-Cut

Currently reading:
Old T-Cut

ya me too, if it was anything new you were using it on it might be too agressive and shag the paint.

Nothing imparticular just for when i next wash it got a couple of scratches here and there.
What would you recommend then?

I have got some Autoglym paint renovator if that would be anygood.

Last edited:
Meguiars Scratch X was recommended for me and while it didn't have much effect at the start, i've given it a rub on a small scratch after the last few washes and it is slowly fading away, without damaging the paint. its not as quick as T-Cut but probably safer in the long run :D

As above really - Scratch X is good, but it does work very gradually and gently, so you have to persevere with it.

Alternatively you could try some Autoglym Super Resin Polish, its very good and widely available - eevn buy it in Tesco I beleive?

Either way, make sure you work it gently to remove the scratches - several lighter applications will get you a better result than one hefty one!

Good luck (y)

my t-cut is more than 10 years old (5l metal can). it still works as well as it did when new, and looks the same, and has the same consistency, so i dont think it ever 'goes off'.

ian grant said:
As above really - Scratch X is good, but it does work very gradually and gently, so you have to persevere with it.

Alternatively you could try some Autoglym Super Resin Polish, its very good and widely available - eevn buy it in Tesco I beleive?

Either way, make sure you work it gently to remove the scratches - several lighter applications will get you a better result than one hefty one!

classic noob errors.

you should use something abrasive like original t-cut for the first stage (turn 1 big scratch into hundreds of smaller ones), then you can use something less abrasive like colour t-cut or scratchX for the second stage (turn hundreds of small scratches into thousands of tiny scratches). then you can mix colour t-cut with polish for the 3rd stage (remove all tiny scratches). Super Resin Polish cant help to remove scratches at all, it isnt abrasive, the best it can do is make them less noticable temporarily. you only use polish or wax by itself to protect the paint after you have already removed all scratches- not to remove scratches.

if you need something more abrasive than t-cut use farecla g3 for the first stage. it is by far the best product on the market, which is why every single bodyshop uses it. if you want control but an easy life then use g3 with a mop, its a miracle worker.

Last edited:
Its entirely up to you, but if it was my car I'd be inclined to do a bit more research first.

https://www.fiatforum.com/car-care/146082-t-cut-caused-faded-paint.html

Ive used AG SRP to remove minor scratches and swirl marks for several years - always worked well for me, but I guess it depends how deep the scratches are. It is a polish (might be why its called polish?) but it also has a 'quality' that helps fill small scratches as well - I know thats not removing them, but it does diguise them.

If you do want to put a sealant on top once its been polished it, AG Extra Gloss Protection is well suited to the SRP.

Lets face it, youll get all kinds of differing opinions and replies but most of us are trying to be helpful and constructive ;)

Depends how much you want to get into it, but take a look at this website as well for more info.

www.detailingworld.co.uk

Noob.

If T-Cut is old and thick mix a little water in and it will be fine.

You'll also find you can spend 4-5 times as much on "better" products which will give the exact same results just take longer and hurt your arm more.

Top of my head a MK1 Punto is single stage so T-Cut really is the best of the best for it. ;)

Its entirely up to you, but if it was my car I'd be inclined to do a bit more research first.

https://www.fiatforum.com/car-care/146082-t-cut-caused-faded-paint.html

Ive used AG SRP to remove minor scratches and swirl marks for several years - always worked well for me, but I guess it depends how deep the scratches are. It is a polish (might be why its called polish?) but it also has a 'quality' that helps fill small scratches as well - I know thats not removing them, but it does diguise them.

If you do want to put a sealant on top once its been polished it, AG Extra Gloss Protection is well suited to the SRP.

Lets face it, youll get all kinds of differing opinions and replies but most of us are trying to be helpful and constructive ;)

Depends how much you want to get into it, but take a look at this website as well for more info.

www.detailingworld.co.uk

Noob.

but if you search a little more.....

https://www.fiatforum.com/car-care/152596-t-cut-really-bad.html

As for the use of scratch-X Ian mentioned several light hits will do more damage than a good going over as the scratch-X is a Diminishable abrasive the more it is worked the more it breaks down you keep rubbing until it goes from white to clear at which point the abrasives have broken down...

Back