Technical Oil / Water leak - headgasket ? Please look

Currently reading:
Technical Oil / Water leak - headgasket ? Please look

Re: Update

bloomfieldliam said:
Looks like it is just oil getting leaking out of the right hand cam lobe to me?

Liam

same to me.... :confused:

your coolant is obviously goin somewhere.... if it is HG, then it wont be rough idling when warm as the gasket might expand and bridge the gap?

and u may not be seeing the mayo or anything due to the speed of which the coolant is bein used?

however.. the lumpy idling could be down to map sensor / lambda sensor problems messying with the air / fuel mixture causing the random idling?

just grasping at straws really.

Re: Update

Compression test it as said before.

Pop down to Halfrauds and get a compression tester (about £15) and follow the instructions.

I'm not sure what compression these little things should have but what you want to see is all 4 cylinders having about the same. Any differences especially large will indicate either a blown HG or faulty rings.

If you keep the compression tester nice and clean you can then return it to Halfrauds and say it was bought for you in error!

Hope this helps,

Nick

I don't know what's going on.

Today It ran absolutely fine again. But still the water is disappearing.

I took a pic of the OIL. Looks ok to me (might need a change) But no mayo.
Or what do you think ?

oil.jpg

I booked it in for a diagnostic test.

They said they don't do a compression test for the HG.

It's only a probe that goes into the cooling system ???

Anyway it's £15. Will be done on Tuesday.

run a compression test, pressure should be around 11 bar and diffrence bet cylinders must not be more than 1 bar if I remember this corectly. it could be coolant leaking into the combustion side as i mentioned before. then there would be no water in the oil or vice versa, but instead the engine is burning the water with the fuel mixture and thats why you don't see any water leakage from the engine. your cylinder head could also have a hairline crack bet the water channel and the combustion chamber.
The best way to sort this out is to take off the head send it in for skimming and for pressure testing, then lap the valves and put new valvestem seals and headgasket,it wont be that expensive and is most probebly the fault.

shop4parts.co.uk
eBay
local motor factors
FIAT dealer

I bought mine from a FIAt dealer as it was only £4

Back from the garage & 10 phone calls.

head Gasket on it's way out but not blown yet.

Quotes range from £600:eek: to £250:bang: (n)

Yes I will have to look into that.

Maybe strip the engine myself, take the head to my mates CNC company & then let my local garage rebuild it.

Not so worried with taking it apart... it's just putting it back together that worries me :D

I just did an oil change & there are no traces of water in the old oil :confused:

So if it's not the Headgasket & no leaks.

Where is my water going :confused:

get the cooling system pressure tested?

You can leak water into the cylinders and not the oil. Do you have a hole in the rad, and then when the system heats up it comes out as steam. Waterpump leaking?

heater matrix might be leaking too

No leaks. no evidence on the driveway.

+ garage pressure tested the cooling system....

I'll nurse the car until the HG is blown completely & then do the 1242 conversation.

Starting the car is getting worse.

In the morning the engine vibrates a lot & if I don't give it a bit of gas it stalls.

However 5 minutues later. The engine is smooth, perfect idle - no problems whatsoever.

The water still keeps dissapearing. But there is no sign of white smoke.

I'm absolutely clueless.

It has it's MOT today. I booked it in for after work - so the engine is warm :)

Since I had nothing to loose, I tried a Headgasket sealent.

And it worked:eek: :slayer:

It's called K-Seal you pour it into the coolant tank & it repairs any HG leaks.

I did it 4 days ago & it worked. Car starts without problems again & Top Speed is 100 mph again. (private test road;) No water loss anymore.

I never trusted these products. But I thought as I have nothing to loose I'll give it a try. I'm well pleased with it. This K-Seal is supposed to repair the leaks permanently.

Back