Technical Oil temp

Currently reading:
Technical Oil temp

Got my oil temp gauges in , and after haveing a good run my temp gauges says im runnng at about 120 deg C .. im a standard 1.1 i think with my 1.2 in it ran about 90 on a run .. what could i do apart from fit a oil cooler to cool my oil at temp ..

ive been burning quite a bit of oil lately , Could this high Oil temp be a reason im burning it , as i think my rings are shot and thats why

Your oil temp can creep up to 120.. but I'd only expect to see it after sustained running during the summer.

If it leapt up there after just rather moderate use then something's not right.

Assuming you only see 120C very rarely.. then it's okay to leave it. If you have 10W40 semi-synthetic or synthetic oil, then that will just about cope... but it's not really where you want to be.

If the temperature only hit 120 since you changed the gauge, then check the gauge calibration. It could just be reading high.

If you lose a lot of oil then look for blue smoke out of the exhaust. New rings might fix it (check compression ratio) but it could also be a leaking valve stem. If you dismantle it to fit new rings, fit new valve stem seals at the same time.. it's a no-brainer.

Hot oil will disappear more quickly.. so you could have a hot oil problem rather than a losing oil problem. So first (because it's more serious anyway) get to the root of that 120C.. If that checks out and you solve it.. and you still lose oil.. look for where that's going.

Check the obvious too.. like a leak or losing it out of the rocker gasket.

Ralf S.

I know i am Burning oil as i have blue smoke out the Exhaust well i was sat ticking over for a while when it knoticed it had gone up to 120 , drove 8 mile and it hadnt dropped any , so i was just curious I dont know how to calabrate my gauges , its them gauges what turn black when no live is to it ,

I don't know the specifics for those guages -- you might try contacting the manufacturer/importer. I don't know where you put the sensor either, as you've not told anyone. You'll probably find an engine builder/rolling road near you who hyas a calibrated guage you can compare yours with.

If it's burning oil, dry and wet compression test will reveal where from. Obvious candidates are the rings and the valve guides. In the meantime, it'd be wise not to drive the car.

I've seen 115C oil temperature with normal water temp. In both cases, the engine didn't last much longer. Hence the pessimism!

Last edited:
hopefully wont be a dead HG as ive replaced it with a Fiat one about a month or two ago

Dont know Blu i just bought one off ebay that looked simlar to the one that came with my gauges when i got them

i have mounted the Temp sender in the bottom "dowel" hole in the oil filter were i had it last time on my 1.2 . and that read a max of 90 so a little strange

Back