Styling Oil Sump.....

Currently reading:
Styling Oil Sump.....

RalphyRooRar

Hi all,

How are ya? I have a question about a Fiat Bravo Oil Sump, 1.6 i took it today to the garage to have my oil changed & a new filter replaced but the guy told me i need a new oil sump as mine was really badly corroded i was shocked to be honest because he could of charged me the earth, he said it wasn't fair that he should do it so i needed a new oil sump does anybody know how much i am looking at?

Thanks in advance!!:confused:

If its not leaking, get some high melting point grease from Halfords and give it a good coating.
Even if its rusty that will stop any further deterioration.
I have done this for years with success. If its actually leaking, thats another matter.

I grease the sumps of new cars as a preventative.
Regards

corrosion is not a good enough reason to change the sump. i cant remember the last time i saw a rust free sump on a car more than 3 years old. its normal. the sump gets hot, it also gets wet and it gets salty, so if it wasnt rusty i'd be very confused.

If its not leaking, get some high melting point grease from Halfords and give it a good coating.

:yeahthat:

although i wouldnt go to halfords, it will only cost half as much at your local motorfactor. :)

copper grease works well for this job.

if you can be bothered, rub the sump down with sand paper first, then clean it with WD40 and a rag (or gunk), and then grease it up.

the grease should stay on for years after that.

corrosion is not a good enough reason to change the sump. i cant remember the last time i saw a rust free sump on a car more than 3 years old. its normal. the sump gets hot, it also gets wet and it gets salty, so if it wasnt rusty i'd be very confused.

:yeahthat:

although i wouldnt go to halfords, it will only cost half as much at your local motorfactor. :)

copper grease works well for this job.

if you can be bothered, rub the sump down with sand paper first, then clean it with WD40 and a rag (or gunk), and then grease it up.

the grease should stay on for years after that.

Thanks everyone, the way the guy was making out it was like as though my car was going to explode! So yes i panicked as well.

It isn't leaking he just said if a stone were to hit it i would get a hole in it, when i last went to halfords for a back wiper they told me they didn't stock it which was fun!! I did manage to get one though........eventually haha.

Anyway thanks again & no doubt i will be on here again soon as there seems to be always something with my car!! But i love him & i wouldn't have anything else but a bravo!!;)

Suggest while you have the grease out, coat the metal brake pipes with it too, but of course don`t get it on the rubbers.
There are exposed bits in the front wheel arches that can be accessed easily and you can get at the back without any wheels off ( sorry if you already know all this) or jacking up.
Helps if you have long arms and are a bit too thin like me:D

Surely if its that badly corroded now a new or better conditioned one would be the best option, as it only takes 1 hit for the sump to get damaged if its fragile. I've had a hole in my sump in my punto and thankfully i caught it very quickly (was obviously seeping badly, and corrosion was such that a hole formed when i gave it a prod with a stick) and slapped a new one on.

After all if it wasnt noticed and the oil drained the engine could run dry.

Surely if its that badly corroded now a new or better conditioned one would be the best option

if the sump is weak then yes it should be changed, but surface rust does not neccessarily mean it is weak. if it hasnt started leaking at all yet, then its probably nothing to worry about yet, just something to keep a regular eye on so if it does start leaking it will be noticed early.

Back