Technical Oil pressure

Currently reading:
Technical Oil pressure

The needle on my oil pressure gauge was not giving any reading so I have replaced the oil pressure sender with new 5 bar sender and the gauge is now working👍🏻. I haven’t had chance to give the car a good run yet, but on start-up it is only registering around 1.8/2 bar. From what I have read, it should be 2.5/2.9 - is this cause for concern? Thanks

Attachments

• 8F190C17-2EBA-4C4C-9711-97398A82580C.jpeg
    8F190C17-2EBA-4C4C-9711-97398A82580C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 111
The needle on my oil pressure gauge was not giving any reading so I have replaced the oil pressure sender with new 5 bar sender and the gauge is now working👍🏻. I haven’t had chance to give the car a good run yet, but on start-up it is only registering around 1.8/2 bar. From what I have read, it should be 2.5/2.9 - is this cause for concern? Thanks
When idling (HOT) Fiat state that the oil-pressure warning-light might flicker---this shows that the oil-pressure is between 0.6 and 1.0 bar (8.5/14psi) and is OK as long as the light goes out as soon as the engine revs are raised. If it is showing 1.8/2.0 bar (25.5/28psi) when idling, as long as goes up to 3.5/3 bar (35/43 psi) when running, I can see no problem. I have looked into both my (Factory) 500 and 126 w/shop manuals and I can see no other oil-pressure figures.

When idling (HOT) Fiat state that the oil-pressure warning-light might flicker---this shows that the oil-pressure is between 0.6 and 1.0 bar (8.5/14psi) and is OK as long as the light goes out as soon as the engine revs are raised. If it is showing 1.8/2.0 bar (25.5/28psi) when idling, as long as goes up to 3.5/3 bar (35/43 psi) when running, I can see no problem. I have looked into both my (Factory) 500 and 126 w/shop manuals and I can see no other oil-pressure figures.
Thanks Tom, I plan on giving it a good run and an oil change this weekend so will keep an eye on the pressure and see what it does

Thanks Tom, I plan on giving it a good run and an oil change this weekend so will keep an eye on the pressure and see what it does
What oil are you planning to put into the engine? On a standard 500/126 engine, I would reccomend a high-quality 20/50 oil. I have a tuned '126'engine in the back of my 'wee beastie' and use Millers 10/50 'Nanno-drive' high performance oil. Money spent on engine oil should NEVER be scrimped--it is always cheaper than a 'stuffed' engine!

What oil are you planning to put into the engine? On a standard 500/126 engine, I would reccomend a high-quality 20/50 oil. I have a tuned '126'engine in the back of my 'wee beastie' and use Millers 10/50 'Nanno-drive' high performance oil. Money spent on engine oil should NEVER be scrimped--it is always cheaper than a 'stuffed' engine!
I've got 5ltrs of Millers 10/50 CFS here ready to go and a new seal for the oil filter :)

I think 3 bar seems high when hot and at idle., Mine (594cc Engine and standard-ish) is around 11-12 PSI (0.8bar)

But as long as you have good pressure, that IS the most important aspect!

I think 3 bar seems high when hot and at idle., Mine (594cc Engine and standard-ish) is around 11-12 PSI (0.8bar)

But as long as you have good pressure, that IS the most important aspect!
From what I have read, the oil pressure at 110 deg C should be 35.5 - 43 lbs/sq inch or 2.5 - 3.0 kg/sq cm according to the Fiat 126 workshop manual - I have a tuned 126 engine fitted.
Like you say though, good pressure is what’s important!

Back