Oil leak or something...

Currently reading:
Oil leak or something...

L1MAD

Seems the Bravo has got some sort of oil/liquid leak. Nice wee puddle and drips on driveway, and front right underneath (beside suspension arms) is black and has a layer or two of fresh/not so fresh oil. However this could just be oil from somewhere else draining out here...checked oil level, it was on the verge of non existant but no warning light...however this engine seems to drink oil so that could just be that itself and not linked to the leak.

Noticed it dripping on the ground on saturday night whilst reversing into a parking space when me and a mate were shadowing integras and civics round edinburgh (cause we're cool)

Thankfully a few months left on the warranty, so phoning the garage at 20 seconds past nine tommorow and getting it booked in asap, It better be ready for sunday :D

anyhow just thought i'd share the problem.

If you have no luck with them bring it to my garage in Edinburgh, will check it for you.....Farmer Autocare, Corstorphine.

attachment.php

Parked up after driving 20 mins or so, and this formed 2 mins after i had stopped. slow constant drip. Different location to the others...also engine wouldn't start 4 times today, all at different times, second time each occasion it did though. Garage tommorow so see what they have to say.

Cheers Johno933 i'l keep that in mind.

nope it didn't wierdly. Topped it up (or rather filled it) yestarday and the level hasn't dropped. Even though it was worryingly low yestarday still no warning light came on.

It's all fixed under warranty =] Fault was a leak from the oil filter so it was replaced...service guy had the cheek to right "a slight small leak was found on the oil filter"....right so the puddle up above? Imagine that with a 'medium sized' leak :L

Anyhow its all fixed, and feels a bit nippier now too.

Cheers muppet42

Oh that sounds just fantastic Ming :p From now on going to make an effort to check oil every week.

YcMing said:
You should really! Think all the modern engines are much more sensitive to the oil level!

Ming

Yup, something I found out in the old Punto when Arnold Clark said it needed "some" oil but didn't say it needed done right away. I was pretty mechanically ignorant back then but I know I should've checked it myself given how utterly pants that garage were at doing things properly. Engine decided to go pop at some speed down the M8. In turn, this lead to me getting the Stilo though...

aye mate i was pretty much the same when i had my first cinq to go to uni in. Blew all sorts of gasket and used to head gasket curer type substance. IT did last me 4 years tho!

And in the end, I had an accident, then just took my spanner and rachets and took it all apart :D , great learning process that was! But i still miss the car :(

Ming

i have 2 different oil leaks on the calibra, so check mine twice a week as routine until such a time i can be bothered fixing it.

as ming says, modern engines are sensitive to oil levels, i know mines definitley needing checked when it starts feeling slightly more sluggish than normal. mines an old car though, as much as i dont want it to, if it did go pop, meh. on your far newer car, id be getting a note from them saying they fitted the leaky filter to begin with so it avoids any issues later on IF any other damage was done. hopefully it wasn't, but if it has been, i know for sure they will try to get out of it by saying the damage was your fault for not monitoring the oil levels. your covering your own back by getting them to admit liability for this little hiccup.

mine leaks and aslong as you check it on a rotor so every month for me its fine. only looses about a quarter of the guage in 3 months, way i see it is it stops it rusting! :p and reminds you to do the oil changes as your dipstick gets filthy

Clock34 said:
mine leaks and aslong as you check it on a rotor so every month for me its fine. only looses about a quarter of the guage in 3 months, way i see it is it stops it rusting! :p and reminds you to do the oil changes as your dipstick gets filthy

:O with all the time you spent on the engine stil leak ? Doesn't seem that bad tho :) . You know where abouts is coming from ?

ming

hah well to save replying to everyone seprately - cheers for all the info guys. really appreciate it/will be useful for the future.

Just another question on oil - in the owners handbook its got a specific make off oil to be used for the engine...off the top of my head can't remember, and dad has the car at work today ¬¬ so can't go check, but in general some good old castrol syntex or mobil one should be fine? Sorry just not that up on oil's for cars' - much more a Downhill biking mechanical guru :p

any oil will be fine as long as its the right grade but i would spend a bit extra for the right oil if i remember correctly fiat used to say use selenia oil only in there cars dont know if thats still the case or not ??

Back