Technical Oil Grade ??

Currently reading:
Technical Oil Grade ??

No this one is the indie who fixes my brakes and will probably service my cars after warranty.

For the sake of a few Euros I would stick with the 5w40 ACEA C3 and buy the oil for him to put it into your car. Manufacturer's recommend a specific oil for a reason. The combined knowledge of the FF has to be better than one mechanic's viewpoint. This was opie's input.

For the sake of a few Euros I would stick with the 5w40 ACEA C3 and buy the oil for him to put it into your car. Manufacturer's recommend a specific oil for a reason. The combined knowledge of the FF has to be better than one mechanic's viewpoint. This was opie's input.

Yes that is what i will do. He gives me the oil quite cheap as he buys it as a trader in big batches. I just got the Ford Formula S/SD to keep me going until my next service.

wd40.jpg

Technically WD40 is not a lubricant, its a release oil.

Just when you thought it would be this simple, I've noticed Castrol now produce two different products, both of which are 5w40 ACEA C3 oils meeting the Fiat 9.355535-S2 spec :bang:.

Have a look at the specs & approvals tab for this and this.

Castrol appear to have 'upgraded' their traditional nomenclature - GTX, which was a straight mineral oil, is now a semi-synth; Magnatec, the former semi-synth product, is now fully synth, and Edge, always a fully synth product, now incorporates "Fluid Strength Technology" (FST), whatever that is.

Be aware that many suppliers are still selling Castrol 10w40 Magnatec which is an ACEA A3/B3 semisynth oil that does not meet Fiat 9.355535-S2.

Last edited:
Just when you thought it would be this simple, I've noticed Castrol now produce two different products, both of which are 5w40 ACEA C3 oils meeting the Fiat 9.355535-S2 spec :bang:.

Have a look at the specs & approvals tab for this and this.

Castrol appear to have 'upgraded' their traditional nomenclature - GTX, which was a straight mineral oil, is now a semi-synth; Magnatec, the former semi-synth product, is now fully synth, and Edge, always a fully synth product, now incorporates "Fluid Strength Technology" (FST), whatever that is.

Be aware that many suppliers are still selling Castrol 10w40 Magnatec which is an ACEA A3/B3 semisynth oil that does not meet Fiat 9.355535-S2.

Not too sure where Castrol have positioned their fully synthetic oil products ? The Magnatec one I recommended for Ahmett was the only one that 'jumped out at me' from the Greek web site and it had Fiat approval and on balance I felt it would be better than the Ford one.

Looking at the write up on Magnatec it talks about molecules and 'clinging to engine parts'. But on seeing this graph that came from here there's a difference in the oils particularly when referring to the IVA wear test. It also re-enforces the concept of Mobile 1 being used as a flushing oil but to be fair to M1 this may not have been their ESP product.

Valvoline SynPower can be got for the diesel engines in 5w30 ACEA C2 but does not Fiat approval 9.355535-s1 which doesn't really matter given their reputation.

Hopefully Ahmett will re-consider changing his oil as opposed to topping it up when he sees the difference in wear on the graph posted above.:devil:

Last edited:
I'm sure if they remade "Open all hours" then nurse Gladys Emmanuel would drive a Fiat 500 instead of a Morris Minor, and would buy that oil from Arkwright's general store.

There can never be enough choices of oil to suggest, particularly when a thread is only 9 pages long (and counting)....

Not too sure where Castrol have positioned their fully synthetic oil products ? The Magnatec one I recommended for Ahmett was the only one that 'jumped out at me' from the Greek web site and it had Fiat approval and on balance I felt it would be better than the Ford one.

Looking at the write up on Magnatec it talks about molecules and 'clinging to engine parts'. But on seeing this graph that came from here there's a difference in the oils particularly when referring to the IVA wear test. It also re-enforces the concept of Mobile 1 being used as a flushing oil but to be fair to M1 this may not have been their ESP product.

Valvoline SynPower can be got for the diesel engines in 5w30 ACEA C2 but does not Fiat approval 9.355535-s1 which doesn't really matter given their reputation.

Hopefully Ahmett will re-consider changing his oil as opposed to topping it up when he sees the difference in wear on the graph posted above.:devil:

Actually after 50k my engine sounds and feels absolutely fine. The thing that worries me most is squeeking brakes!

Number of manufactures have given it their ‘seal of approval’.
Can be got cheap in bulk.
Feedback on a guy who bought it on Amazon said the cap seal leaked on delivery.
Good to have additional choice since I’ve always struggled to buy 5w40 C3 oil locally.

Actually after 50k my engine sounds and feels absolutely fine. The thing that worries me most is squeeking brakes!
Subject of a different thread by JR that has fewer pages !

Attachments

• FS-PD 5W40.jpg
    FS-PD 5W40.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Number of manufactures have given it their ‘seal of approval’.
Can be got cheap in bulk.
Feedback on a guy who bought it on Amazon said the cap seal leaked on delivery.
Good to have additional choice since I’ve always struggled to buy 5w40 C3 oil locally.

Subject of a different thread by JR that has fewer pages !

And that lovely duallogic gearbox of course!

Well guys, to add fuel to the fire an electrical engineer from a main Opel dealer gave me some oil as a present and it turned out to be 5w-30 C3.I said but Fiat wants 5w-40 C3, and he said 5w-30 is better, it is newer and opel/vauxhall now uses it on their cars. So he told me to use the 5w-30!

Good grief. This oil thread still going. I'm up late, can't sleep & I'm on holiday. Hope to be a bit oiled during my rest period.

Get a life guys.............:life:

Well guys, to add fuel to the fire an electrical engineer from a main Opel dealer gave me some oil as a present and it turned out to be 5w-30 C3.I said but Fiat wants 5w-40 C3, and he said 5w-30 is better, it is newer and opel/vauxhall now uses it on their cars. So he told me to use the 5w-30!

When I was unable to get 5w40 ACEA C3 at a 'reputable' Motor Factors (O'Reilly' of Kilbarrack) suggested that I use Mobile 5W30 ESP C2 & C3 oil in preference to Mobile 1 5W40 C3 because the ESP was newer and was a better oil.

The 5W30 C3 oil that you were given will give less protection than a 5W40 if you compare the specs and in theory being thinner will give slightly more power. If it had the C2 classification as well as the C3 it would technically give an 'economy tag'. IMHO I wouldn't use it.

Good grief. This oil thread still going. I'm up late, can't sleep & I'm on holiday. Hope to be a bit oiled during my rest period.

Get a life guys.............:life:
Have you nothing better to be doing 'late at night' on your holidays. I hope its the 'good stuff' since it sounds like you'll be needing it.

Last edited:
Have you nothing better to be doing 'late at night' on your holidays. I hope its the 'good stuff' since it sounds like you'll be needing it.[/QUOTE]

Sounds a bit Irish to me............Just kidding:D

Just started the hols' & was at the water of life among other beverages. I like to check in from time to time. Off to sunny climes on tuesday:)

Back